Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont really need support but rather a place to rant and get a little chat going.

subject: college

i dont plan on going back anytime soon but i was thinking about taking mac1140 precalculus algebra, i've already taken mac1105 college algebra, mac1114 trigonometry and mac2233 concepts of calculus. how does everyone deal with all these math classes?

i'm 3 classes away from getting my aa but i dont know when i'll be able to go back to college, plus i'll need a grand to pay for it

anyone take out loans for their college tuition?

plus, what degrees have any of you earned?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Dani,

You are very intelligent and gifted. Why don't you think about testing out, you would get the materials, and study it, find a college that would let you take the test for about 60.00 per course and then transfer those credits to your college and get your degree done. Tada, no loans ,learn and test at your own pace.

Blessings and Hugs,
Angel

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'm currently going to college and I'm taking beginning Algebra this semester. I'm kinda dreading it because math is my weak subject. Community college is much cheaper, can you take those classes there, even online? They should be transferable. A 3 unit class at my CC is $78.00. ($26/unit) Right now I'm paying for it myself because we made too much money for me to qualify for financial aid. I'm not working and don't want to get any student loans until I truly have to. I'm hoping to get at least a fee waiver this year. That would help some. You can fill out a FAFSA and see if you're eligible for any financial aid this year.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Math classes will make you a better problem solver in life-Congrats on taking so many & passing :) I took a medical math for my LPN program, but I was good & I taught others. What are you going for? I was lucky to get a Pell grant & a nursing scholarship. Are they still giving out Pell grants? I remember a lot of pb&j sandwiches & pretzels. All of us were in the same boat & shared our lunches & dollars. While doing a hosp clinical we could eat @ the cafeteria for employee cost. A toasted cheese sandw & chips was a dollar--whoo hoo!! Hang in there & stay with it..don't stay out too long... I'm cheering you on... :cheergrl:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
That's a lot of math for an AA. I'm curious if you like math that much why aren't you getting an AS?

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
I took out loans and have to say...I wish I hadn't. I'm shifting to half time for next semester so that we can pay out of pocket (it's what we can afford). Will probably just finish up all of school half time, even though it will take many, many years. It's better than no more loans. 2 classes here is over $1000 - nope, no community colleges.

Are you interested in math? I'm a math major (not very far in, but progressing). Sounds like we've taken many of the same classes. :)

CLEP-ing out of classes is an option. CLEPs are like $90 here...still better than paying full tuition.

Good luck!

·
19,119 Posts
Choke math there - congrats on going for it!! No advice, keep us posted please. I have a BS in Business Admin and Economics and certification in Special education. No loans - worked my butt off - 3 jobs in college.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a lot of math for an AA. I'm curious if you like math that much why aren't you getting an AS?
thanks. that really got me thinking but i'm not sure. i'm also very into economics

·
Registered
595 Posts
Both dh and myself had student loans. Much easier when we went you didn't have to pay any on them until 6 months after college was done. I have 1 child in college now. She has to pay the interest on her student loans as she is in college. We are paying them for her. I have another child going to college next year.

Have you looked to see if you are eligible for any grants? Free money is always nice.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you looked to see if you are eligible for any grants? Free money is always nice.
i havent but i probably should, i use too but didnt get any

i had a scholarship but it expired because i had to leave so i've only had to pay for one class so far

·
Registered
459 Posts
What about checking into online college? I know several colleges offer certain courses for way cheeper like the local college. You have a time frame, chats, etc and just have to go to the school for the test. I have seen the cost as low as 150 to 300.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about checking into online college? I know several colleges offer certain courses for way cheeper like the local college. You have a time frame, chats, etc and just have to go to the school for the test. I have seen the cost as low as 150 to 300.
thanks but i need the classroom setting in order for me to stay on track with the work. i took a hs class online which was fine. but when i tried it with my boring classes, i start to fall behind

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm hoping to clep 2 math clases and chemistry

now i just need some money. and to study for the chemistry one

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i guess i'm going to have to tutor myself so that i can clep out of other classes. not too many options with me already being a junior

·
Registered
933 Posts
Absolutely check for scholarships and grants through Fafsa and through the college you are attending. I have 2 in college and they have been blessed to get some great scholarships and grants. My son will finish with his Master's degree in August of this year...debt free. He won an assistantship through the college for his Master's so he works 20 hours a week at the college, they pay for his classes and pay him a monthly stipend for his work. He also won another scholarship also through the college. My daughter finishes with her Bachelor's in December...so far debt free but her last semester we may have to help her with some of it. She'll be working a summer job too. They have gone to a less expensive college, have lived at home, drive 2 hours a day to school and back, been very frugal with their money, and we have helped when they needed it. This year they will both accomplish their dreams and not have to worry about any debt.

·
19,119 Posts
TSOOS - what does clep mean?

Whatever you do in your life, I know you will succeed because of your strength of character - it sows and looks good on you!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Back in my day we had Pell Grants. I got full tuition until I got married in my junior yr. Then I had to take a loan. I ended up having to pay back $5000. It was difficult at the time because I couldn't find a decent job.

My advice to you is to talk to a financial aid person at the college you want to attend and see if they can advise you. You seem to be very intelligent and resourceful. I'm sure you can get over this hurdle.

Reactions: thesightofoneself

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
i guess i'm going to have to tutor myself so that i can clep out of other classes. not too many options with me already being a junior
What classes are you clepping out of?

Maui, CLEPs are a tests that cover a semester of a specific class. They're pretty cheap in comparison to taking the class at a college. Schools will typically give you credit for finishing the course if you take the CLEP instead.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
TSSO - check into grants and scholarships. You CAN do this! You are one smart girl. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.