Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?Potatobug 15 June 2009 Colorado potato beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata)
The ubiquitous potato bug appeared today. I found four adults and no eggs. Method of control is picking them off the vegetation,, since I have only about 70 plants. If the potato field is large chemical control is almost mandatory.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FAKES Summary:p Potatoes 2009.

· Registered
279 Posts
YOu are not alone, this year I have suffered from the colorado potato beetle too...unfortionately I havent had time to deal with it.
It has been only a few weeks and half of my potatoe plants are stripped down to almost nothing and I plant a lot of potatoes too. I usually plant get about 300 lbs to store, but not this year. I read a bit about them too and decided that hand picking was about the only thing, but I just havent had time. Next year, I will move the potatoes, watch for them and pick them off early when I see them.

OH, we also found a few on out tomatoes so watch for them there too.

· Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YOu are not alone, this year I have suffered from the colorado potato beetle too...unfortionately I havent had time to deal with it.
It has been only a few weeks and half of my potatoe plants are stripped down to almost nothing and I plant a lot of potatoes too. I usually plant get about 300 lbs to store, but not this year. I read a bit about them too and decided that hand picking was about the only thing, but I just havent had time. Next year, I will move the potatoes, watch for them and pick them off early when I see them.

OH, we also found a few on out tomatoes so watch for them there too.
If any potato bugs are seen they must be removed, since they propagate almost as fast as Swine Flu virus. In three or four days a patch of potatoes can be completely destroyed. Potatoes are the preferred host, but tomatoes are a second or third, and there are other plants that are attacked. I only get them on the potatoes.

· Registered
1,580 Posts
We have damage each year from them. We used to pick them off with success. However, it must be done daily. If you can't do it for a few days you pay a big price. This year I used Permethrin. It is a restricted use pesticide and quite expensive. It got good control with it. I just got tired of seeing my potatoes and tomatoes ravaged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.