Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my jaw dropped when I started reading this, and I had to forcefully clamp it shut in a thin lined grimace of disgust over the attitude of some people.

Planet S Magazine

“Do I need to fear for my children’s safety and my property with the types of people this store is going to bring into our neighbourhoods?" said one user, while another stated, “I also think this is a terrible idea. Value Village will reduce the image of the community, and I’m not sure the clientele of Stonebridge are the same people that shop at Value Village type stores. Horrible idea.”

Puhhhhhhhh-lease.

Reactions: QM

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ugh, I HATE that elitist attitude. We're having the same thing in Edmonton right now with affordable housing - they are trying to convince the bedroom communities to build townhouses and duplexes so that people just getting into the housing market can afford to buy, and it's very much a "not in my backyard" mentality. Oh my, we can't have students and young families living in row housing, that would be just awful!! If they don't have half a million dollars for a big detached house with a double garage, I guess that's just too bad! These people want Wal Marts and grocery stores but the people who work there have to be bussed in from the city because they can't afford to live where they work.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
ROFLMAO! What a bunch of morons! Just wait till the place opens. These snobs are going to be shocked to find out just how many of their neighbors have no problems at all shopping at a thrift store! The intelligent people of that neighborhood will prevail in the end.

And BTW, once you've worn a new outfit, every time you wear it after that, you're wearing used clothing. Idiot.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
some people have the IQ of a dead flea .

we have a town two away from ours that has million dollar houses and is considered elite place to live if you can afford the property taxes on even the older small homes... and it has 3 private owned thrifts within the main street ( think old fashioned mail street brick walks etc )-empty buildings are far worse for a neighbor hoods worth that a thrift

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
some people have the IQ of a dead flea

:laugh: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks momto5...........I needed the chuckle soooooo badly today!!
:tay:

Agree with other posters............it sort of sounds like my sister talking.......but she always used the "excuse" that she didn't like the smell.............but she never left empty handed!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Holy crud monkeys. What snobs. At the very least, they should be happy there is a new business to add $$ to the tax coffers.

What in the heck makes them think that everyone who makes the same amount of money as them lives in the same 'hood as them? This has nothing to do with the store, really now. They don't want our money mixing with their money apparently. Just because I don't choose to live in their 'hood doesn't mean I don't have the same concern over my safety when they go "slumming" in my 'hood driving their pimp-mobiles looking like they are trolling for young girls or new clientele! Keep your BMW's, Cadillac's and Mercedes's off my streets and I'll be sure none of my paid-for vehicles nor my family's minivan is ever found in your Value Village parking lot supporting your tax base.

·
Registered
352 Posts
We live in a very upscale area with lots of building codes, etc and there are plenty of consignment stores without any problems. I don't know if the one you are writing about is a chain, but the not-chain ones here do fine and no one complains. We also have 3 Goodwills in our upscale suburb filled with $500,000+ homes!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
We have a Goodwill less than a mile away. That parking lot is often packed. I bet the people saying these comments would be shocked at who shops at the thrift.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Our city is fairly affluent and we have multiple thrift stores. What we don't have is a 7-11 that's 24 hours or a bus line. LOL

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
What some people fail to understand is that sometimes, people buy secondhand for unimportant things, so they can pour their real money into important things like real estate. I know without garage sales and thrift stores, we wouldn't be able to live where we live. For us, it's a lot more important to have a home in a beautiful place than to wear brand name clothes from some overpriced store.

Smart people also know a lot of times, secondhand things don't look any different than the same thing bought at an expensive retailer.

I kinda like snobby people who won't set foot in a thrift store. That leaves more goodies for me! :D

We once had a friend who wouldn't have been caught dead at a rummage sale, and never failed to ridicule us for going to them. Till we found a small cooler identical to his that he had paid over $20 for. (This was decades ago.) We had gotten ours in like-new condition for $2. He never forgot that and it bugged him for years. Not enough for him to start going to sales, but he stopped criticizing us for going. More goodies for us!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
All I can think of is my mother, who, years ago, upon hearng I went to Salvation Army to buy some clothes, gasped and said 'that's where POOR people shop1'. No, that's where SMART people shop! I read they have a Walmart in town....last I checked, Walmart did not attract the elite nor did I have to show a tax return to gain entrance...wat a bunch of MORONS, and how sad they're no doubt teaching their kids this rotten attitude. I did enjoy the bit about the zombie apolcalype....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Out here, we refer to those types of people (who whine about how change will affect them, but never think about the greater good) as NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard) and it's never a compliment.

What a strange cause to get behind. Life is too short!

Kara

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Reminds me of when they were extending the Light Rail up to Hunt Valley mall and all the local wealthy types were screaming about how inner city criminals would just hop the light rail to come rob them...

Which never manifested (the criminals hopping the rail - the rail station was built)

Reactions: ravenmaniac

·
Registered
25 Posts
We live in a very upscale area with lots of building codes, etc and there are plenty of consignment stores without any problems. I don't know if the one you are writing about is a chain, but the not-chain ones here do fine and no one complains. We also have 3 Goodwills in our upscale suburb filled with $500,000+ homes!
Value Village is a large chain and they don't stock junk. Good quality used items at dirt cheap prices. I, for one, love shopping there. Wait, it's more than one, the place is always jammed full of people when I shop there, and all of us are well dressed. Why? Because we shop at value village! :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Holy wow! Thank you for sharing this story. People who talk like that live an inflated life style provided by credit. When the credit runs out or bankruptcy looms they may have to shop at a second hand store, Oh the horrors!

I have been in thrift stores in affluent neighborhoods (Severna Park) and in "lower class" neighborhoods (Balto. City on Patapsco Ave.). I have never been bothered by anyone. Honestly, the people in the so called "lower class" neighborhood actually talked to me.

Reactions: marlas1too
1 - 20 of 30 Posts