Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is a first for me.
Computer is in safe mode, and I don't know how to escape from it.

It was fine earlier. I shut it down, and then shut it off completely with the button on the electric strip. Completely normal routine.

Just turned it on, and it made me boot up in safe mode.
The choice it gave me.
Okay. So I cleaned out any cookies, and then ran the virus thing.
Shut it down, and did a reboot.
Now I am in safe mode and have no clue how to get back out of
this. Computer is 10 yrs old this month.
win98, version 6.0 , compaq presario
Can someone give me directions how to escape this ?

Best would be to PM me, give me your phone number, and
I could call you. Or I can give you mine.

I am not real good with computer stuff , please keep it simple

·
Registered
382 Posts
My first thought is to reboot it again, and watch it to see if you can see a screen where it gives you options to go to, such as "safe mode", maybe "normal" mode, etc. Something like that. Have your finger hovering over the arrow keys (incase it doesn't allocate much time on the screen where it might let you choose what kind of mode to log on in), then pick the most normal mode you see (your preferred mode to boot in), and move the highlighted section to it. Maybe you'll have to hit enter. It should leave you in your choice of mode. If it doesn't give you much time to choose, reboot again.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
What natalie recommends is close.

Reboot, and as the computer is just powering up, start tapping the F8 key 1 time per second. That should bring you to the menu option that allows you to choose a normal startup.

HOWEVER - if the computer is forcing you to enter safe mode, you are probably going to need a techie to help you in person if the reboot process doesn't work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well, I knew I was close. If I need some help, I call/email my 3 brothers, who are computer programers/ computer engineers. :)

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did a google search which gave me a page for instructions.

I did tap the F8 key during the booting up process, and it gave me a chose of several things.....I chose the normal.
Still no work. Still in safe mode.

I found my orginal disc for the machine. Did a restore, using the typical section so I did not lose any data. Followed instructions.
No work. Did a reboot, and still no work.
Let it sit for awhile shut down.
Just rebooted now and still in safe mode.
One thing I was reading is a possible registry problem. Will have to research that tomorrow , I guess.
I hope it is something simple. No money for a new computer .

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Ok - while in safe mode you can back up all your data. At this point, if it were me, I'd get an external hard drive, hook it up, backup everything, then format and reinstall the operating system.

The catch is, being in safe mode, you have to be able to GET to your data, which when in safe mode, is considered to be under another "account".

So you need a pro here, I'm sorry. :(

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thanks.
I will try to get a computer tech on the phone today and see what he can suggest. I won't be able to go anywhere today to get anything I might need.
We had a very bad ice storm here yesterday. Hubby had to work 17 hrs plowing before they could stop. It was real bad. 4 of their plows got stuck. Schools were closed. Then last night, and now, it is snowing. Possible of 8 inches. I think we got about 5 so far. I won't be able to go to town until all this stuff stops.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke to the local computer whiz and I need to take the machine in to them. Hopefully they can tell me something for about 1/2 hr labor. If it is something simple, then they will fix. If not, they won't go any farther with it, because of it's age. Suggested to me to start looking for another computer. If this one is fixable, it will buy me some time to look for a bargain out there.

He tells me all 3 computer manufactures use China. And India is where their support staff all is. So basically I am looking for a machine for the most bang for my buck. Hopefully I can find something on sale. I really would like something under $ 500.
I don't need a monitor or a keyboard.

Regular computer I need...nothing high graphic, and no games.
I have DSL through my phone company currently.

So any suggestions for what to buy, or what not to buy ?
My closest stores are Walmart, Staples, and Radio Shack.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If you're in need of a new computer, it'll depend if you want a laptop or a desktop. For under $500, you can get a pretty basic system. It's been a while since I looked at computers while living in Elmira, but you can check out all of the computer shops in your area. I see you're in Central NY, so you may want to look at probably Best Buy or Circuit City. Circuit City has a laptop for under $500. They also have a desktop for about that much too.

Best Buy has some packages starting at about $379.99. Those are for desktops. They have 15 computers that range from about $250 to $499 so check out Best Buy also.

If it's not letting you boot out of safe mode, you can do a backup and then see if a format and clean install of Windows 98 helps. If not, since it's an older computer, your processor and your RAM (random access memory) and the hard drive may be going. It happens with PCs that are as old as yours. Usually, the operating system will generate a log file if it fails to load in normal mode but with Windows 98, I can't remember where it would be at. You can try looking in your C:\ folder. Simply boot the PC, go to your Start button and then pick My Computer. Go to your C:\ folder and look for any .txt file that has "log" in the name (minus the quotes). That may be a bit more complicated, so probably taking the PC in for a look will help. :)

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I am trying to send some pictures up to my online photo album
Going well.
Tech told me not to worry about backing stuff up because they
can load any of my pictures to cd's for me.
Not really a lot I need to save. But what I need to, I can put on a zip disk file I have here. But now thinking if I do that, then I need a new machine to have a zip drive.
I think I better get a pen and paper and make a list of all my urls I like to check out. Maybe to be safe than sorry.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick update here.

I finally got my 10 yr old compaq presario , to a tech this morning.
He said he only worked on it less than 5 minutes.
We both we're thinking it was something simple because I was able to still use it
while in the safe mode, and get online, and do things.
To fix the problem it was go into the control panel, and it was a display adapter.
3D RAGE LT PRO
So he clicked where he had to , and did NOT charge me anything.............
twas a good morning :)

The computer I am using to type this on, is a 2.5 yr old compaq presario, my son
found for me. Lady wanted it gone because it was too slow for her.
Works for me...........and it was free :)
Came with monitor, and keyboard too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts