Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new here. I just thought I would post this. I'm still learning but I want to cook everything by scratch. Here is a great recipe for a mix I keep on hand instead of buying expensive Campbell's Cream soups.

Use instead of condensed canned cream soups in recipes. Just add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup. Chop mushrooms, saute in a bit of olive oil and add for cream of mushroom soup. Add dark meat from cooked chicken for cream of chicken soup. You get the idea!

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup instant reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. white pepper

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients and mix well with wire whisk until blended. Store mix in an airtight container.
To prepare as a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1-1/4 cup water in a saucepan.
Cook and stir until thickened. Mix a total of nine cans condensed soup substitute.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Thanks for the recipe :)

·
27,948 Posts
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Thanks I really need this

·
Registered
182 Posts
TY , I had never thought about it , i always have the ingrediants , but i have to keep my husband from buying cream of's.
:)

·
4,028 Posts
Thanks MommyO'.

I'll be making a batch of that soon. I like that it lets me have control of the sodium levels in what I add it too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts