Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few times recently the recommendation, mostly for curly heads like me, to actually "wash" our hair with conditioner. Apparently the sulfates in shampoo are much too drying for hair, but there's just enough cleanser in conditioner to get your hair clean.

I've been doing this for a few days now and my hair feels just as clean, but softer, less dry, and my scalp stopped itching so much. The key is rinsing well.

Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I haven't tried that but I am going to, my hair is naturally curly too and well it does seem my hair seems to get so dry all the time, I just have to try this! Thanks for the tip :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
hmmm..I did read this & there is a book all about curly hair that gives similar advice. I can't think of the name of the book now. Will post later if I can remember or find the site that I read about it on.
I do remember reading that the alcohol in shampoos is very drying & the advice to try to find shampoos w/out alcohol, or to not use shampoo at all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I did that for a while but i noticed that after a few weeks there was a lot of build up and my scalp started to feel greasy even after washing... so what I started doing was adding about a tablespoon of Tea Tree Oil to my regular shampoo. It's amazing! It worked so well fo rme on my scalp and hair that I decided to start using it when I shave my legs and it has definitely cut back on the razor burn.

It's not too expensive from a place like CVS or Brooks. I looked online and it was kind of pricey... so are the shampoos that already have the oil in them. I'd just buy a small bottle for under $3. and add it to everything. A little bit goes a long way. One bottle has lasted me for going on 4 months.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thus far I've still shampooed my hair once, after about 5 days, and plan to probably shampoo once a week.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I'll have to try that. As it is, I only wash my hair about 2 days a week and the curls get kinky and crispy anyways :(

·
Registered
708 Posts
I found similar advice on http://www.ylcf.org/gotcurl/ and gave it a try. The thing that made the most difference for me was only shampooing once every 2-3 days and only shampooing my scalp, not my hair. Then I work a big dollop of conditioner through my hair, especially the ends, and rinse it with cold water. Also, I don't comb my hair when it's wet; I just scrunch in my leave-in conditioner and go. My curls look a thousand times better than they used to.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Cant remember where I heard this but if you wash your hair with baby shampoo for a month - or until a small bottle is gone then it restores the PH in your hair. Its a gentle cleanser. If you have long hair, you'll need to use conditioner.

Maybe for those that still need to 'wash' their hair 2 - 3 times through the week try the baby shampoo and conditioner on those days and the off days shampoo with the conditioner?

I dont have curly hair but if I were to shampoo with conditioner itd be greasy. I cant use store brands or no name/low quality shampoo's or my scalp freaks and hair dries out :( I wish I could wash with just conditioner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is a staple for me. And yes it does create nasty buidlup. However, I mix conditioner with baking soda and the results are AMAZING!! :hurray: My curls pop everywhere and my hair is clean (not stripped). I've banned shampoo from my household because I've read up on the harmful detergents that are in it.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I'm a cosmetologist and for curly hair it is recommended that you go as long as possible without washing because shampooing removes the natural oils and does make your hair dry. My DD18 has curly hair and she washes it about 2 times a week unless she has sweated a lot or gotten really dirty. So much better than when she wanted to wash it every day. I have a client that has the curliest hair I have ever seen. She never uses shampoo. She washes her hair with conditioner. Her hair is gorgeous.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Wavy and dry hair but not as thick or curly as it was when I was younger.
Color treated and spent is more like it now.
But on my last visit to my hair dresser she went on and on about how soft my hair was. I have been diluting conditioner with water, spraying it on my freshly washed and conditioned hair for a little extra leave in conditioning. It works. My neice is a hair dresser and she told me I was rinsing out all the conditoner I put in and to try this on top of my regular conditoner. She was right.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Hmmm, I'm gonna givethis a try! My hair was always straight, but is growing in curly now!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have been using conditioner only for about 2 years now and will never go back to shampoo. Every time I use shampoo my scalp gets dry and icky. After a couple of days of conditioner it returns to normal. My hair is curlier, softer, and more manageable that is was when I used shampoo. I love it.

Another trick is to rinse your hair with baking soda and water and to rub your scalp with the baking soda mixture it helps to keep it clean.

I have also tried washing my scalp with a mixture of brown sugar and conditioner. It seems to work OK, but it was hard to get the brown sugar our of my hair.

For me conditioner only is the way to go. :rollsmile

--Julie--

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
WOW

THIS IS THE GREATEST SITE EVER!!!!!!!!! EVEN THIS UNEXPECTED POST HAS MADE ME EXTREMELY HAPPY, (AM I SAD??) THANK YOU AND MY HAIR THANKS YOU FOR THIS FABULOUS IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grwave:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
LOVE IT

MY HAIR AND I THANK YOU TODAY, TRIED YOUR ADVICE AND I AM SOOOO HAPPY!!! I WAS SKEPTICAL BUT MY HAIR LOOKS REALLY GOOD, PEOPLE ACTUALLY ASKED ME WHAT I DID DIFFERENT!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I have done this often and the good thing about it is that it seems, for my hair anyway, that the very cheapest conditioners ($1) work the best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have curly hair too and only wash 1-2 times a week, I use baking soda with my shampoo everyother week, just put a little in palm with shampoo and mix it takes out all build up in hair, I also make my own shampoo it work good
Old-fashioned Homemade Castile Shampoo

Castile soap has been around for many years, and it’s no wonder why. Castile soap is good for a number of uses, and homemade shampoo is one of them. To make Castile shampoo, simply grate a bar of Castile soap with a grater. Blend the Castile soap in an electric food processor or blender along with enough warm water to give it a thick pudding-like consistency. After this mixture is well blended, add about 1/4 cup of olive oil, and ½ cup of distilled water. Continue blending the mixture until it’s well blended and ready to use. This homemade shampoo will make your hair soft, shiny, and naturally clean.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm going to try using just conditioner too, with baking soda and water every once in a while for cleansing. My hair is pretty straight, with just a tiny bit of wave to it, but shampoo makes it feel like mattled, tangled, dried-out hay. I have to use tons of conditioner to even be able to get a comb through it, and it's on the short side - a chin-length bob.

I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. My daughter's hair does the same thing as mine does, but her's is more curly than mine and long. I have to do a deep conditioner on her hair once a week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts