Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i never use it. i have a phone in my classroom and a phone in my home through the ATT Uverse. thorugh the Uverse system i can listen to my voice mail/ messages anywhere at any computer.

the only thing that stops me is i drive a beater car at 5 am to get to work.

thoughts?

i lived quite well up to the age of 42 without one.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well I also have a cell phone i hardly ever use but i like knowing that if something happened i have my phone to call for help.

What about a trac phone?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
For $100, you can get a TracFone with a year's worth of service, 900 minutes AND the phone. I LOVE mine, and it also can text - and the texts only cost a few cents each.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would do what the others have said get a TracFone or some kind of prepaid phone is you don't use one much. Just for the fact that you could make a call if you broke down or some other emergency when you are away from home or your classroom.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
In your case, I'd definitely go with a Tracphone or some other type of pre-paid. Just in case of emergencies.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
In your case, I'd definitely go with a Tracphone or some other type of pre-paid. Just in case of emergencies.
I agree especially since you drive to work at 5am

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I haven't had a cell phone in about 5 years, and can only think of a handful of times when I wished I had one. In fact, my mom gave me a cell phone for a year, thinking I could get some use out of it. Instead, it sat at home for that year, getting used twice.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I would say find an inexpensive prepaid phone. I rarely use mine however am starting to use it more since I am not at home as much. Have the tracphone. I purchased the type of phone that automatically gives you double minutes every time you add minutes to the phone. May end up cheaper than paying the $100 a year. Anyway, the main reason I have it is because I never know when an emergency might happen. Payphones are hard to come by in this area. I would hate to think of me trying to find a phone in an emergency. You could not use it for years but just one time using it in an emergency would make it worth it. As a female I feel more secure knowing I have the cellphone with me.

Also, since I do not use it often there are times I use it to call long distance since I have more than enough minutes. Feels good not to have to use the landline and be charged for a call when the cell phone already has minutes waiting for me to use.

My landline is a stripped down bare to the bone service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would suggest a prepaid too. depending on your income too you can get ones through the government too that have a certain amount of minutes per month for free.

·
Registered
746 Posts
hmm. If safety is your concern, know this: Any cell phone that can power up can dial 911. it does not need to have a service, a plan or minutes. It's an FCC rule.

So, if you break down in the middle of nowhere at 5 a.m. You can dial 911 from your cell phone, report your breakdown and have a police officer to your location as soon as one is available.

If you'd rather call for a tow, then get a prepaid type phone with very few minutes.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'd change my cell phone as suggested but never go without one.
I only use mine for emergencies, flat tire on the highway, dead battery 25 miles from home. An aside; did you know AAA has their own battery delivery truck? The technician will roll up, install and take away the old battery and see you on your way.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update: i went to walmart, acted helpless (i am a neophyte with technology) and a teenager and a salesperson helped me. i got a $20 phone, 800 minutes and a years service. i ended up spending 158 bucks. i was pleased to learn i can use my same phone number. it will take 48 hours for the number to transfer.

it was nervewracking and i am wound up and my stomach hurts. but no more than getting my ATT bill this morning and looking at 60+ dollars a month = 720 a year.

activating it was a pain.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update: i wish i had done this sooner.

i wasted about 30 minutes of my "time" experimenting with ringtones and setup. argh.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update update: it's been a month and i really like this thing.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I converted my att cell phone to prepaid and I pay about 15 a month if that. They used to convert your old sim cards to prepaid for free, or program them to a new number if your old one expired, but now they charge you 25 bucks to get a new sim card. I've heard cell phone companies are losing a lot of profit on prepaid phones. Apparently they're trying to make it up anyway they can.

I tried to get them to program my husband's sim card with a new number and they wouldn't do it. They told me to go to an ATT store and get a new sim card. We just decided to go without.

It amazes me how much people are willing to blow on their cell phones.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I used to spend $150 a month on a cell phone. However, at the time I felt it was worth it because I would very often get stuck working in court for long periods of time. I couldn't make phone calls, but I could discretely text people and get on the internet. So it was worth it to me. But I didn't renew the contract after I retired. I didn't need all the bells and whistles anymore. So I got a Straight Talk phone at Walmart. It serves my purpose very well and I'm pleased with it. Especially now I only pay $45 a month.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I cancelled my landline and upgraded my cell to a smart phone. I didn't feel like I needed both a cell and landline, especially since the cost of the landline kept creeping up in my area.

I am, shall we say, "directionally challenged" and my cell phone has GPS, which has come in really, really handy, especially when I moved to a new city. I got the lowest minutes plan I could get and make most long conversation calls when minutes are free on the weekend and at night. The price of having texting was ridiculous so I just blocked all texts. Then I discovered I could get free texts with Google Voice so have been using that. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nothing on my budget irks me more than my cell phone. It's a necessity, especially with my job, but it's way more than I want to pay for phone service.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I drive a beater too. It has quit on me. If the thought of walking for help or being stranded in a bad neighborhood bother you, I would keep the cell phone.

If you are driving through a rural area with very limited phone coverage, a good pair of sneakers would serve you better in a breakdown.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts