Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a new printer/copier. Mine is an HP, and although this one has served me well, the cost of ink is rediculous, and the refills or referbished ones don't work in the machine. I am so frustrated, having to spend near $30 to replace ink. For $50, I can get a new printer that not only comes with ink, but where the ink is cheaper to replace. So I have come down to 2 units... The Cannon, and the Kodak. Does anyone have experience with either?

Another question - which might sound dumb, but really I have never done this before, so I don't know. I have several documents saved up in my print queue. I know that the queue is specific to the printer that I have now that won't work because the "official" ink cartridge was out of ink (and when I refilled it, the printer no longer recognized it) and the refurbished one I bought is also not recognized. I don't want to "loose" these docs - can I transfer them to the new printer once I get it hooked up?

THANK YOU for any advice you have :)

PS - I am not using the printer to print anything extravagant. I am a homeschooling mom who relies on the copier and printer to get through the school day - oh... and also COUPONS. Lots and lots of coupons :)

·
8,714 Posts
~Smart of you to consider the cost of ink! We bought a $20 Lexmark printer on BF and I never considered the price of ink. Ours are $20 each. Ack!
Have you considered one that's a few years old like on CL? Ink is usually cheaper on older models.
We had a 2000 HP and the ink had gone down to $4 each by the time it broke(2009).~

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ours is pretty old - maybe 5 years or so, but the ink is still rediculous! LOL I think the HP's, because they keep making printers with the same cartridge model, the cost never goes down. I will look into that for other models, tho.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've tried other brands but still think HP is the best in the long run. Are you using it on the economy setting?

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
HPs are no bargain these days. And they're getting a bad rep for being junk, too.

In the long run a laserjet printer is going to be cheaper to operate than an inkjet. They cost more up front but you make up for it with cheaper ink costs. Inkjet Versus Laser Printers - www.smallbusinesscomputing.com

I'm partial to Canon printers myself. Seldom had any serious problems with them.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "knockoff" or "generic" cartridges don't work in my printer. It says "cartridge not recognized" - then leads me to a page to buy "official" HP cartridges.

Yes, I have it set to the lowest setting - I think it's "draft" quality. I am printing lessons off the net every day. Between 5-15 pages a day on average, so I go through them quickly.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
oh wow that's a lot of printing. Just a thought, does everything you print need to be color? The majority of it?

Another option would be to keep your color one for color-only needs and if the majority of your printing could be black & white, consider a small laser printer black & white only.

You'll save money by using less of the color inkjet cartridges without sacrificing the ability to print color when you actually need it.

Reactions: Shelli_wnj

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most everything I do is b&w only. My color cartridge has been almost out of ink for about a year. I only use it when the project is needed to be in color. I would say I use the color cartridge once a month or less. the black cartridge is a fortune alone! :O LOL

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DO NOT GET THE KODAK!!!

I have one and it has been an overall bad choice financially. We bought one thinking it might be a less expensive option. Boy, were we wrong. I curse that thing everyday.

I do not print in color for the most part and can go without ever putting a color cartridge in my printer. Well, with the Kodak, you have to have a color cartridge for it to print. If either the color or black/white cartridge run out, it will not work at all. It just tells you to replace the cartridge.

The B/W cartridges are only around $10 but, I have found I get less use from them before they run out. I could go almost twice as long on a cartridge with my HP and Dell than I can on the Kodak.

The color cartridges are around $17. As I said, I really do not use color. However, the color ink seems to get used. In a year's time I have had to replace the color 3 times and the B/W about once a month to every six weeks on average.

After about six months the Kodak had a part go bad. The company was very easy to deal with and sent us the replacement part in two days. No questions asked about how old the printer was or anything and we were not charged for the part.

For print quality and customer service, the Kodak is fine. But, if you are looking for saving money on ink, stay away. Stay far away.

If I could use the darn thing without a color cartridge, I would be a happier person.

*90% of what I print are coupons and the other 10% is my kids' school projects, papers, forms, etc...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wow thanks for the heads-up Neeley.This is so great to be able to talk to folks who are in the know with personal experience.
I will be watching this thread.
I'll have to ask daughter if she still likes hers!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Office Depot and Office Max have there own brand for Lexmark printers. I buy them when they are on sale, have a coupon, etc. It also helps if you print everything with the Quick Print option. It uses MUCH less ink and your cartridges will last much longer. I even print my USPS and FedEx shipping labels using Quick Print and the bar codes are fine.

~There weren't any generic cartridges for the old model on Ebay? I was always very satisfied with those for our old printer. There are no generic Lexmark cartridges yet(that I've found).~

·
Registered
348 Posts
I prefer HP printers. I use them at home and work. I signed up for the frequent user deal on HP.com and I get a significant discount for the inks at work and home. They have free shipping, too. I get free shipping for next business day delivery.

If you have a home-based business, you can also sign up for the PurchasEdge program. If you fax in the proof of your purchase, say the packing list, then you get points toward new products. If you recycle the ink cartridges and the toner cartridges, you get points for that, as well. You have to read the instructions on the PurchasEdge.com website. You can get there from HP.com, too.

Yeah, it makes it so you buy HP products. However, I've saved my company a LOT of money by doing this. I joined last April and redeemed my points for two All-in-Ones. I have enough points for a third one.

Also, NEVER use anything other than HP products in an HP printer. Ours at work gunk up and then we have to replace the printer. Saving on the cheaper ink defeats the purpose. Use the HP ink and you're fine.

Lexmark...I had a really great printer from them. The inks are high, but the print quality is great. One bad thing about them is the software you put into your computer. The Lexmark hi-jacks the HP software and adds to it. It sometimes makes it difficult to get the printer going.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Wow thanks for the heads-up Neeley.This is so great to be able to talk to folks who are in the know with personal experience.
I will be watching this thread.
I'll have to ask daughter if she still likes hers!
I hope your daughter has been happier with hers than we have been with ours. If she has figured out a way to use it without having to keep a functioning color cartridge in it, please let me know. :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I prefer HP printers. I use them at home and work. I signed up for the frequent user deal on HP.com and I get a significant discount for the inks at work and home. They have free shipping, too. I get free shipping for next business day delivery.

If you have a home-based business, you can also sign up for the PurchasEdge program. If you fax in the proof of your purchase, say the packing list, then you get points toward new products. If you recycle the ink cartridges and the toner cartridges, you get points for that, as well. You have to read the instructions on the PurchasEdge.com website. You can get there from HP.com, too.

Yeah, it makes it so you buy HP products. However, I've saved my company a LOT of money by doing this. I joined last April and redeemed my points for two All-in-Ones. I have enough points for a third one.

Also, NEVER use anything other than HP products in an HP printer. Ours at work gunk up and then we have to replace the printer. Saving on the cheaper ink defeats the purpose. Use the HP ink and you're fine.

Lexmark...I had a really great printer from them. The inks are high, but the print quality is great. One bad thing about them is the software you put into your computer. The Lexmark hi-jacks the HP software and adds to it. It sometimes makes it difficult to get the printer going.

Good luck.
Bless your ♥, I just signed up and the savings and free delivery look great. This is an example of the wonderfulness here at FV; sharing information.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
This is my second printer since 2001, both HP, both inkjet. I picked them both up at WalMart for around $30.

I don't do photographs or anything fancy, but for coupons (color) and draft quality black and white, they can't be beat.

Thanks to CrazyHomemaker, I just registered at Hewlett Packard's website for deals and free delivery for ink.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've got a Kodak printer and we've never had any problems. I've had it for a couple of years. I have 2 in college and it is used almost daily. The ink last just as long as the Lexmark and the HP that I had before that and its a whole lot cheaper. The Lexmark was $30.00+ a cartridge. HP was in the low middle $20.00's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.