Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my kids high school, consumer education is a required class for graduation.

Buddy is enrolled and I can see the list of projects and assignments on line.

The first few activities listed are

Reality check, ID theft, and Millionaire

I am curious to see that the activities are.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Step 1: realize you'll be poor if you don't do something.
Step 2: steal someone's identity.
Step 3: become rich.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 1: realize you'll be poor if you don't do something.
Step 2: steal someone's identity.
Step 3: become rich.
LOL

That is funny. I literally laughed out loud

Sounds like a peer tutored class instead of a real high school class. I hope that is not the lesson plan his teacher has planned.

Thanks for the laugh. I need that.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm starting up two sections of personal financial planning on the 25th. Ages range from 16 to 68 this semester. The reality check is a very bitter pill for some to swallow......but that is great that Buddy is getting it before he is in the position to make financial mistakes.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm starting up two sections of personal financial planning on the 25th. Ages range from 16 to 68 this semester. The reality check is a very bitter pill for some to swallow......but that is great that Buddy is getting it before he is in the position to make financial mistakes.
I agree.

Our school must agree to as all Seniors have to take and pass the class to graduate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ooh, it's a good thing you are keeping your eye on the class.

Those have a tendency to not only explain how various financial instruments work but they also propagate the idea that "car payments are a part of life" or "you can't go to college without severe debt, don't worry about it" and the list goes on...

Reactions: Brat

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have always though that All High Schools need to teach how to do a check book and learn to live on what you have...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
We were taught how to do checkbooks and budgeting, along with some other financial education. It was better than nothing, but didn't even begin to go into the potential long-term ramifications of getting into debt. It didn't touch on student loans, mortgages, or anything else beyond making the monthly payments.

Fortunately, my father also taught me, and didn't rely on the school system to tech me everything about life.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buddy's consumer ed homework was to watch Tv this weekend commercial 10 commercials
What they were trying yo sell you and how they were trying yo sell it yo you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts