Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Companies are downsizing items, keeping costs the same or increasing them with many consumers unaware. This site will have you looking at your groceries in a whole new light. http://www.mouseprint.org/

Question... Would you rather companies just cut the sizes/ amounts and not tell you, hopefully keeping the prices the same or that they were forthright and raised the prices and kept the amounts the same?

I know the costs to manufacture goods increases over time and I the consumer need to pay more. Just be forthright with me and let me make an informed decision. I hate the sneaky underhanded ways "they" try to fool me.

Reactions: cab54 and jas

·
4,028 Posts
Well, they have to lable what they sell. So if the box used to say 6 and they sold 6 and now it says 5 and they sell 5 then they are letting us know. They are not lying to us. I doubt any company would call a press conference to announce they are changing their packaging to smaller amounts but keeping the same price. We as consumers have to beware because we don't always take time to read the lables. We are the ones that have to be savy and frugal to know what we are paying for .... at all times.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I always check the unit price- that's what I use in my price book.

But lots of people aren't aware of that. Like my son when he buys groceries! Grrrrrrr

I couldn't help but notice in the same link is the
BBQ Rib fair in Boston - Lots of people were rib-ripping-roaring-riotous about that.
Don't get us mad here.. we insite riots!

:D

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'd rather pay more for the same size. The main issue I have with the shrinking packages (aside from the sneakiness of it) is that I'm used to getting X number of servings from a package and now that's blown. A few times I've bought 1 package of something because that's what I've needed in the past to make a recipe, only to find out that the package is smaller now and I'm short on the ingredient.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Yep - Caveat Emptor - Let the Buyer Beware.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Wal-Mart is reducing the package size of it's dog food brand, Ol Roy. They used to come in 50 lb. bags, now they will be coming out in 40 lb. bags.

I guess they think as consumers we aren't going to notice the difference. :screwy:

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
"Would you rather companies just cut the sizes/ amounts and not tell you, hopefully keeping the prices the same or that they were forthright and raised the prices and kept the amounts the same?"

I'd rather they be forthright. DH and I just went egg shopping. Do you realize they've downsized eggs now? The medium are the same size as the small used to be. And the larges are really mediums!

Jean

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I'd rather they be forthright. DH and I just went egg shopping. Do you realize they've downsized eggs now? The medium are the same size as the small used to be. And the larges are really mediums!
The chickens are in on it!!!

Reactions: Luv2BeFrugal

·
Registered
979 Posts
LOL - chickens are in on it.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The chickens are in on it!!!
Conspiracy?! Sabotage? Regular chickens lusting after what the free range chickens have? Hmm...

·
Registered
294 Posts
hmmmm are the chickens smaller too?? is that why they are laying smaller eggs? Are they protesting for better wages?? :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'd just rather they just be honest. However they have to go about it, just fess up to meddling with the goods. Either keep it the same and raise the cost and explain why, or downsize BUT ALSO downsize the cost just a little please. It drives me bat crazy to get the same pack of chicken breasts that came with 6 breasts for roughly 7 bucks and some change (that provided my family of 3 with two meals) now it's only 4 chicken breasts for over $9 !!!!

Now we have to buy two to get enough for two meals and it just messes me up entirely. :thud:

·
Registered
737 Posts
That's why it's important to read the labels and prices in the store even though it does take longer to get the shopping done.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
LOL! re: the chickens! We walked to our normal health food store today for some free range eggs and were met with the following sign:

"The chickens are on strike pending the arrival of air conditioning. Please be patient and expect shortages."

LOL! Eggs!

Jean

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
I'd rather they just keep the same size and raise the price as the cost of production goes up. It's gonna get so things are so small it won't even feed two people...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Very interesting site Darlene, thank you for the post.
I noticed the size differences before, because I read all the labels now for fat, sodium content and plus when I have a coupon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hubby and I used to buy Mrs. Freshley's diet (can't remember the name now) peanut butter/chocolate bars. Bought a pack and each bar was HALF the size of the last package we bought. I emailed the company and told them. A return email told me they had cut the size because of rising costs. Did send coupon for free box. But that was it for us . . . at the price they were charging for half the amount. Sugar, coffee and probably many other things (bleach) are coming in smaller packages for the same or a higher price. Won't be long till all sugar comes in 4 lb. packages, just like bleach is now 96 ozs. I refuse to buy 4-lb. of sugar. All coffee used to be 16 oz. increments. not now. It's 13 or less. Canned goods used to be 16 oz. cans. They have less in them now, too. I agree, when they don't tell you, it's legalized thievery.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts