Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone out there sleeps in their contacts...

I know some people leave their contacts in for days at a time...sleep in them and all. I've heard eye doctors say it's okay and other doc's say it's awful.

What's the concensus here? Is it okay? Is it bad?

:feedback:

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Mother has been in the opthomology field for over 30 years. She has always told me horror stories of people who have left them in overnight repeatedly. THey can get suctioned/stuck to your eyes. Having them removed when this happens can be painful and it can cause permanent damage.

I am guilty of falling asleep with mine in from time to time. So far I have not had any problems. But with that said, the next time it happens a problem could very easily occur.

Many people sleep in them with no problems, but for those who do have problems they can become serious.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I sleep with my contacts in with no problems.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eek! Stuck to your eyes!! And have to have them removed?!?! :bolt:

I've been wearing contacts for 12 years now (not continuously, of course). ;)

I've slept in them maybe 3 or 4 times over the years with no troubles. Despite knowing people who have slept in them (leaving them in continuously) for a week at a time...the horror stories still scare the silly out of me and I can't bring myself to do it...even though it would be convenient at times.

The subject has come up for me again because we're going on an overnight camping/rafting trip (two days, one night). It would be SO much easier to just leave them in the whole time. I don't want to wear my glasses for various reasons (concered they'd go "swimming" while rafting; want to wear sunglasses while hiking and have no Rx sunglasses; and I'm EXTREMELY nearsighted and have very blury peripheral vision with only glasses, which drives me up the wall...esp when doing something active that requires being alert of your surroundings without aiming your glasses at them).

So, I'm debating whether to try to bring contact solution and case and take them out at night and clean them in a tent cabin with no running water...keeping things sanitary, etc. (I'm totally compulsive about my contact cleanliness...).

Advice?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
If it was me I would prop. just wear them overnight. The fact that is easier would out weigh the chance that might get stuck.

Katy

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I had to smile when I read this post. I wear contacts (I have for 15 years). I do sleep in them from time to time, but my eyes feel awful the day after I do. In March I got new contacts (my usual daily wear) and the eye doctor warned of the oxygen deprivation the eye suffers when you sleep in the contacts over night or you don't throw them away monthly like you are supposed to. 2 nights ago I fell asleep in them and when I woke up they were glued to my eyes, I was horrified (as this had never happened to me in 15 years of sleeping in them). I put my contact eye drops in and let them soak up some liquid and then I wet my fingers with contact solution and very slowly began unsticking them. Thankfully all turned out well after about 15 minutes. I am vowing to never sleep in my contacts over night again :).

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was at the eye doc last month and she told me never to wear mine overnight due to not getting enought oxygen to the eye. I never have wore them overnight.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
There are contacts now that are approved for overnight wear, but I don't have those. Therefore, I NEVER sleep in my contacts. It doesn't matter how tired I am, popping them in solution takes two seconds.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I usually find that when I nap with mine in or fall asleep early before bedtime that when I go to remove them they're already stuck to my eyeballs. I hate that dry, irritated feeling. For camping, I just go wash my hands and put them in and take them out at the comfort station washrooms (showers, heated washrooms etc). Its worth the 2 seconds plus my eyes arent irritated all evening afterwards.

I vote to risk the germs to save your eyes. Buy wet wipes and bring them with you - or hand sanitizer and use that to clean your hands then rinse with bottled drinking water to get rid of any 'soap like' residue then rinse fingers with the contact solution before you put your contacts in and take them out.

I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've got the breathable kind. So I wear them until my eyes need a break. Currently, I'm wearing my glasses.

The Acuvue 2 brand is so comfortable to me that I forget I have them in.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I would recommend taking them out while on the trip. Just rinse your hands with some bottled water, dry them off and remove your contacts. It will only take a minute and will give your eyes a rest and you won't be worrying about what might happen. I've been wearing contacts forever it seems, but I take them out at night. Once in a great while I fall asleep in them, and my eyes seem sore and dry the next day if I don't let them get a break from the contacts.

Have a fun trip!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don't sleep with my contact. Up until last year, I switched my contact every day and there were times when I would accidently slept with them. Since I switch my out every two week, I take them out every night now.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I cant even wear mine all day without them sticking to my eyes. By the end of day they are so dry they suck right onto my eyes and its painful to take them out. I even have the oasis that arent supose to dry out. MY dh thinks its becuase I drink enough water! I gave up and now wear my glasses all the time.
Have you ever seen an optimalegist (sp) wear contacts?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I have disposables that I wear longer than the "recommended" time but I do not sleep in them. O.k, I occasionally fall asleep for a quick nap but I never sleep in them at night.

I seriously think that soft contacts are one of the best inventions in my lifetime. I hate wearing my glasses!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi guys

I use to wear contacts 5 years ago, then I didnt from one serious accident I had. But I am planning to wear them again soon. I love contacts better than anything else

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
:yeah: I won't wear my glasses out of the house! :lol3:
It's a VERY rare occasion that I do either. Most people don;t even know that I wear them ( I have worn glasses since I was 4) I have worn contacts for over 20 years now (NO WAY AM I OLD ENOUGH TO SAY THAT ~ UGH!)
Anyway, I wear mine longer than the recommended 2 or 3 weeks, but never overnite - I hate how they feel after a nap!

·
Registered
172 Posts
my niece just recently had bacteria infections in her corneas from over wearing her contacts. She slept in them, wore them for more than the 2 weeks recommended without putting in a new pair. She is lucky she did not damage her eyes..... they were swollen, red and very sore and she walked around here like a blind person for almost a week while they healed. Be cautious.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:yeah: I won't wear my glasses out of the house! :lol3:
I'm with you!! No leaving the house without contacts IN!! :mdance: They are THE best thing! I hate wearing glasses!!

The general consensus sounds like what my gut was telling me...out they come that night. I've fallen asleep in mine for short periods of time - like 45 minutes...and my eyes DO feel way dry after that. I'll just wash my hands somewhere/somehow and go for it. Healthy eyes are way more important! :D

Thanks for all the input! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts