Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You don't have to have a green thumb or a garden to enjoy fresh in-season produce. Cooking with the harvest, should be less expensive.

What are some of your fresh recipes?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I love corn on the cob... I can't wait till the stores have nice looking stuff. My biggest pet peeve with how other people cook it is they think they need to boil the heck out of it. I bring a big pot of water to a rapid boil, add the corn and let the corn boil for about 1 or 2 minutes, take off heat and cover and let set for about 10-15 minutes, no more, which is usually how long it takes to finish the rest of my dinner. The corn will be nice and tender and not tough and chewy. Serve hot with lots of butter, salt and pepper.

Yumm-O!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I read that you can actually do your corn on the cob in the oven in the husk! I like that idea, especially if my oven is in use for another item.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mom, that's called roasting ears... we typically do that in the coals of the campfire. You pull back the husks, remove the silk, pull the husks back up (if you don't have enough to cover the cob, then get random loose pieces and tie on. Then, soak in water for about 30 min before burying in coals, putting on grill or tossing in the oven... they're really good.

We recently enjoyed fried new potatoes with onions and garlic from the garden!

I'm picking wild blackberries and will make a cobbler for the fourth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts