Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice stockpile of canning jar lids. Thank goodness. I was pricing them recently at a couple of stores. The one store wants $1.50 for the standard mouth ones, which were $ 1 a box last year. Second store wants $ 2.29 a box for the standard. I don't plan on having to buy any lids this year, but I like to keep an eye on prices.
I did buy a nice bagfull yesterday at a garage sale. The older lady was getting rid of her canning items. Only had the one box of jelly size jars and I bought them. I even got several boxes of the sealing rubbers for the old wire bail canning jars. I don't use them any more myself. I know a few people that still do and they are hard to find.

So if you are planning on doing any canning this year, you might want to start your search early for some bargains on canning lids and other supplies.

Reactions: Labontet

·
Banned
952 Posts
Dollar General stores still only charge $1 for a pack of flats ( regular mouth). My grocery store had wide mouth flats on sale for $2 a pack. I bought 5 packs. Thinking of going back and getting more. That price is cheaper than Walmarts.
I bought all the packs of flats that my dollar general had. $42 worth. Then I went to another one in another state and bought all those. I have 2 full cases of flats now. And if I come across more I'll buy them up also.
The jars with the wire and rubber seals are great for storing dried herbs, teas and stuff. I just bought 4 of the One Gallon size ones for storing dehydrated foods and some of my pastas I use regularly.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I bought at least three boxes of lids last year when they were on sale for $1.38 a box. I have jars that were donated to me by MIL, but I need to buy new ones for myself and return the ones that she gave us.

I don't usually see sales on canning jars and lids and parafin wax until at least August/September. That's when I planned on canning anything anyways.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have been checking on them here in NC (and always check when I am in Wal-mart). Down here they are abotu 1.50 a box. In VA they are about the same. I have never been lucky enough to catch them on clearance.

THEFRUG, do you ever have problems with them not sealing from the dollar store? I never have problems with the Ball or Kerr, but I haven't tried the golden harvest lids. I don't particularly care for the GH jars as they seem to only last a few years.

I have some Ball jars that my Grandmother bought when she first started "keeping house".

I just emailed Jarden Home Brands who make the Ball and Kerr lids to see if they offered a quantity discount, we shall see where that goes. If you go to their web site directly, they costs $1.99 per pack.

·
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THEFRUG, do you ever have problems with them not sealing from the dollar store? I never have problems with the Ball or Kerr, but I haven't tried the golden harvest lids. I don't particularly care for the GH jars as they seem to only last a few years.
QUOTE-
The Ball Corporation owned and operated many other plants located in other cities including El Monte, California, Mundelein, Illinois, Asheville, North Carolina. Ball Corporation no longer sells home canning products. Ball spun off that part of their business in 1993 as Alltrista Corporation (which is now Jarden Corp.). Since 1993. the Alltrista Corporation has been manufacturing the Ball glass canning jars. They also make Kerr, Bernardin and Golden Harvest canning jars. Alltrista's home canning product and more information on Ball jars, can be found on their website at homecanning.com. /QUOTE

From this page, about 1/3 of the way down.
A Brief History of the Home Canning Jar

I think I read somewhere online awhile ago, that when these canning jar companies were bought out, that they left the name of the item as is. And yes the prices would be different. Just another way to market their business. What the consumer does not know.............

Reactions: Luckybustert

·
Registered
444 Posts
There's a brand of reuseable lids (can't remember the name now, grrr!:nopompom:) that are supposed to last 20 years or so. Their about $20 for 3 dozen, but would eventually pay for themselves.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I used to see better sales on them than I saw at the end of this past season too. I guess they've noticed the renewed interest in canning and figure they can get top dollar.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I have sort of been watching.......and picked up a couple boxes....surprisingly at a groc. store...........figured they just wanted to reduce the inventory........fine with me.

I won't need too many and am well stocked for jars, some of which came with lids. But then, I don't do huge batches of canning either.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Always be on the look out for jars and lids. Ace Hardware has them and I get coupons in the mail. Big Lots has them and I buy some when I get their 20% off coupons. I found a bunch at the salvage store that were very cheap also. I have heard you can find them marked down at WalMart sometimes also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts