Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I know I could do it. Wouldn't want to, but I could. I was raised in the country. I have learned how to preserve things. I know what you can and can't eat from the "wild" and I have many books on it as well.

I don't do guns, but I would do traps and knives. If needed, I could skin and cook anything that I caught. I am a fairly good cook. I think that I could survive and even provide for my children if we even had some kind of crazy thing happened where we had no electric or water. I can garden and I know how to store stuff. I can start a fire with very little wood and even with damp wood. I know what to look for in a forest that makes good fire starters. Although, might be hard without matches. Haven't had to try that.

Also being a "science person" as my son calls me (I call myself a lab rat) I think I have learned how to adapt myself to a lot of situations. Learned how to think quickly and strategically. I can read instructions and do almost anything. So, if there is a book on how to do something, I will and think I can do almost anything.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Gee, we live in suburbia. Nobody does their own electric - I believe the unions here have made it illegal for private homeowners, plumbing, car work etc.

Whenever DH goes away for work for weeks at a time, something around here goes wrong. Like the 5 inches of water in the basement that lasted a month cause the water table kept rising into the cellar. I deal with it. By borrowing pumps, hooking everything up etc. Our very handy neighbor came to check up on me and was impressed. Duct tape solves everything ;)

So if there was no DH, I'd have life insurance to live off of. Eventually I'd get a job making 2/3rds of what DH made. It would be harder on the kids as they are used to having me around, doing their activities and playdates after school. That would all end. Financially we'd be okay. Being a single parent would suck though.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I *have* been told that goat meat is good, but having raised mine from babies, I'd have a hard time killing them. They are very much pets right now, and it would be difficult to violate the trust of an animal that comes up to you to get an ear scratch.

Killing my chickens seems counter-productive, as a live chicken will continue to produce eggs for years, while a dead chicken will provide food for a couple of days, tops.

I have TONS of deer and wild turkey running around my area (not to mention my grain-fed, fat squirrels), although in a REAL crisis, I suppose I wouldn't be the only one considering them as a food source! Also a lot of acorns and pinon nuts, both on my property and in the area. Some edible weeds, but by late spring to early fall, it gets so hot and dry out here, nothing grows without supplemental watering.

·
Registered
763 Posts
squirrel is very good meat as well...pigeons are pain in the ass but good eating, so are peacocks, giunea's and chuckar....a few to think about adding to the animals! I know it can be difficult to kill a pet, but survival is just that! Goat tastes close enough to pork that if you did not know it was goat, you would not know it wasn't pork!
They are much gamey tasting when the bone is left in durring cooking so I take the bones off. Just had goat chops the other night, they rocked!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The gun issue- living in NH, we have guns of various types. Hubby is really into them, keeps them safely, but i am terrified of them and while I have shot before, i figure if I am uncomfortable using them i have NO business handling them, so i don't- but it is sometimes in the back of my mind I should learn to
just in case'.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmommyx6
And as far as having to go without the hubby, well I would not like to have to go without him but We have toys here for that emergency as well ROFLMAO

Don't forget to stockpile those Double A batteries

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Well, my dh has ALS -- so I do it all now anyway. Not much would change here -- plus I have grown sons and an almost son in law to help.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used to think I could not live without my husband....

Then he got ill. He died 10 years ago come next March.

At first I didn't acre to keep going but I did. You would not believe what you can do when it comes down to having to just do it. I have survived and done well for ten years and expect things to be better as time goes on. Even as this world falls apart.

I have no fears of not surviving the end of this system that is soon to come. I know I will. because my strength comes form God. He has provided for me until now and I expect he will continue to do so.:) Not preaching to anyone. It is just a simple fact in my life. It is what has kept me going until now.

·
Registered
503 Posts
All I can say is that I am in awe of you all! I can't do 5 percent of what you all can!

I am academically well-educated, but an absolute neophyte when it comes to this arena. I keep reading and researching, but it seems to go in one ear/eye and out the other. Too, I am seriously mechanically and spatially challenged. Seriously: on those aptitute tests we all had to take in school I'd score high 90s on most everything, and then --- 12, yes 12 is what I got on the mechanical aptitude part. I'm really that bad at figuring things out. I also have a terrible memory.

My husband jokes --kinda-- that it would be great if I were as good on the homefront as I was in the working world. Sigh...

I do my best, but I'd be lost without my husband. He does the finances and all of the maintenance around the house and yard, and of course the computer. I do all of the inside work, and am fully capable of going back to work and earning a good salary, but I just rely on him so much. I guess I just don't trust myself.... thinking aloud here.... maybe I just need a big ole' shot of confidence. I did manage to have a very successful working career and I did earn a Master's degree. Maybe I'm not so inadequate after all....

~Mary

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Minner77,

The only way to overcome that lack of confidence is to start trying to do stuff. I have messed up projects so many times, it is scary. But every once in a while, I succeed. And it is a great feeling, especially if you succeed after not being able to do it right a number of times.

And when it happens the first time around, that is a GREAT feeling! My first foray into soap-making was an unqualified success, and now I know I can make soap AND I feel just a little more confident in my abilities for doing so.

I live alone, so I've had to learn how to do a lot of things by myself, including moving really heavy items up and down three flights of stairs!! :D

Start small and work your way up. You might surprise yourself. :)

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
This is a question I think seriously about every now and then. I lived alone before marriage for a few years, and took care of most things nicely. But then I lived in a rental and didn't have to figure out electrical, plumbing, roofing, and so forth. When I married, Hubby took care of all those technical things. If he dies, his pension goes on, so I won't have to worry much about income. I can entertain myself well with books. I think I can figure out how to run the chainsaw and cut wood. I take care of all the finances, taxes, insurance, etc. now. But I'm not sure about maintainence on the house or car, and dealing with those types of emergencies. Fortunately, we belong to a large and caring church which has a ministry of helping the widows and elderly with those types of problems. But most of all, I'll just miss him terribly!

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi. i went back to work after being an at home mom for 28 years due to a divorce. I am 50, no college degree, panic attack prone....etc...you get the picture. You say your husband "kinda" jokes about your abilites...perhaps that makes you feel insecure? I may be off base on this...my ex always told me I wasnt too good at anything and I felt I wasnt. Its very very hard but i've found i can and do cope with the things that need doing. I bought a car by myself for the first time in my life. I give God the glory for providing.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Madhen -- I know you're right that I just need to try. I need to overcome my fear of failure, I guess. You, for one, are a fabulous inspiration -- and you have really, truly made me think. I thank you profoundly.

Jilly50 -- He really does joke --- wistfully, I believe, because I am highly competent in the working world but so unsure of myself at home. He wishes I had more faith in myself and would just plunge in and do things. But you're right that I do feel insecure, not in his love for me but in my ability to take care of myself. I was a single parent for two years till I met him and did fend for myself, stubbornly so, but then I didn't have a house, just a rental, and relied on friends and my folks to help me with my car (no computers then!) and anything mechanical. I had a large network of single friends and we took care of each other, so things did work out. You, too, have given me much to ponder-- thanks ever so much.

Kindest regards,
Mary

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I only rely on my husband for love and money, I take care of everything else. I guess if the world fell into chaos I wouldn't need the money anymore. Not sure I could survive without the love.
I think I feel that way too. Could I survive without him yes. Would I want too, no way. His love feeds my soul. My soul would slowly starve.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I try to get my wife to understand how things work around the house. She just wants to know I will fix them. I worry about what will happen if I am not here. I would feel better if she would take more interest when I show her something instead of just patronizing me. I congratulate all of you, married and single, for taking responsibility and trying to do things for yourself.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Which inventor was it who said that he didn't look upon his failed experiments as failures, but as just one more way he had learned how to NOT do what he wanted to do? :) I have learned a lot of ways how not to do things I want to do, and sometimes it takes learning them to figure out how to do the things I want to do BETTER (if that makes any sense).

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I think I would find it extremely hard at first. i know i have enough friends to help me fr the first little while I get back on my feet. Downsizing where i live and the standards would be harder on me then the kids at first. But I know we would get through it. 2 part times jobs would be easier to find then 1 full time right now. and trading my time for something I may need like drives to the store or dr. appt for the kids.
I know when u have to do somthing ur not use to u just do it. its a neccesity.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Such a great thread! I have been thinking about this a lot lately. A friend of mine who is close to my age suddenly lost her husband leaving her a young thirty-something with five very young children. I have been thinking of her constantly and noticing that I rely on my dh for a lot, probably way too much. I lose track of how many times a day I say to the kids "we'll have daddy fix it when he comes home" when like a toy breaks or whatever. He is an engineer who does carpentry on the side so he has all of the tools and is really good at things like that so I have been allowed to really become negligent in teaching myself skills. So to answer your question: I have a B.S. degree in Elementary Ed. so I could go out and work. HOWEVER if it were an outdoor kind of survival thing I would probably be dead within the hour. And while I can sew, garden, preserve food as far as maintenance-type things go I would be in trouble - serious, serious trouble!

21 - 40 of 73 Posts