Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my menu figured out. Making sure of my shopping list now and going over the ads. I'm thinking of going on Friday, because Saturday is sure to be a nut house.

Best price for turkey I have seen so far is $1.49 lb. Doesn't matter as DH and I have agreed we only want a breast, and it will probably be twice that price. A whole bird might be cheaper, but we'll just end up throwing out most of the dark meat.

·
27,948 Posts
Wow your Turkey prices are high. Around here whole Turkey's are 49¢/lb for the so called "no name" brand & I saw Butterball for 89¢/lb. I love making up the menu but it makes me hungry,lol.
How are you going to cook up the turkey breast?

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I just paid $1.19 for Butterball at Aldis
Kroger had their brand for .49 w/ $10. purchase but I am picky w/ turkey.
Got the potatoes yesterday at Aldi too like $1.89 and onions .79?
Need to get dessert. Cheesecake/pie debate begins. Ate most of the bread store rolls-every year.lol

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darlene, we'll do the standard brine and roast on the turkey breast. There's only 2 of us, we don't need a whole bird.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Fred Meyers put out a coupon this week that if you spend so much, you can either get a discount on the price of the turkey or, if you spend $150, you can get a free turkey. I had a bunch of shopping to do there and my friend had some things that she needed. We went together and our total ended up being just over $200!!! My family doesn't care for turkey, so thankfully she took the free turkey. It worked out really well because her family is doing Thanksgiving at her house.

Side note: After coupons and discounts and such, we paid like $151 for all of our groceries.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
The best price I have seen is 89 cents a pound for a store brand.

Butterball and the like are running at the minimum a $1 a pound more.

·
27,948 Posts
Darlene, we'll do the standard brine and roast on the turkey breast. There's only 2 of us, we don't need a whole bird.
Ahh. Brining, it's on my list to try sometime. I've often seen the turkey breasts (on sale after t'giving) in the market and wasn't sure how best to cook them so they didn't dry out so I just passed them by. Some day.;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I use to be picky about name brand turkeys....would only buy Butterball but then I got older and started thinking......they don't have Butterball Farms......all turkeys come from a turkey farm....some get the Butterball name and others not....they are all the same ...in my mind that is.....anyone else feel the same????

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I can taste the difference in a butterball and a store brand..I think they moister I have never had a dry butterball..every other turkey is dry need to lay mine out tomorrow..menu is set I still am trying to figure out the second dessert.....
yummy can't wait...

bookwormpeg I don't know why it is that way..chicken is chicken..same..I think they pump something into that makes it taste better.....My whole family thinks so.. but u have a point..... makes me wonder why..hugs

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I think Butterball is juicier and has more white meat,we arent crazy about the dk. meat. Ds likes turkey legs so I get the biggest bird i can find and handle. This yr. 20# frozen.
So I have pickles,turkey,potatoes,rasp. canberry sauce
Need pumpkin pie,whip creme,sparkling cider,marg.,stuffing mix (2),apple pie filling? I really should bake something from scratch.

Need to hit Meijers I guess. So no motivated this yr.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here is my big thank you to the family Thanksgiving hosts!!!! I am not hosting this year, but I appreciate the effort and love that goes into making the holiday special. God bless!

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
All the sides made yesterday and the giant bird simmering in the roaster. Thank you for DH going to Kroger for a baster. And to the poor people working at Kroger today.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully the folks working today are getting time-and-a-half like I did when I worked retail in my college years. Holidays couldn't come too often for me when I was making minimum wage.

DH is due to put our bird in the oven in 30 mins. Then I will start potatoes and gravy.

Reactions: bookwormpeg
1 - 13 of 13 Posts