Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, many of you probably do this. I have heard of this but yesterday realized needed to do something about it. It has been extremely windy here lately. I keep most electric things unplugged. So yesterday I went to plug in my stereo and noticed that the wind was coming in from the outlet. So now I need to go find some outlet covers. Really could not believe how windy it seemed.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
shoiji... right now on another thread we are discussing the usage of styrofoam meat/veggie trays as outlet insulators....

many people already use them instead of buying storebought... another thing to use are the child-proof plugs in the actual outlets to stop drafts....

Reactions: Vanilla

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am planning on getting the childproof plugs. Am in an apartment and do not want to fiddle with outlets to much in case something went wrong. It seems the outlets on the walls facing the outdoors are the only ones causing any problem. Which is good since that is only two outlets!

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Here's a link to help you in case you want to insulate the outlets:

http://www.diyhomeinsulation.com/wallswitch.php

You can use the foam sealers if you don't have stryofoam on hand.

Here's a link for insulating your home (and this one was good because it's based off of Canadian cold weather and has lots of good resources):

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/enefcosa/enefcosa_002.cfm

I'd try the foam sealers first, then see about having the drywall around your current outside wall outlets removed and have new insulation put in. This may end up helping more long-term than just doing the sealers.

Reactions: Vanilla

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Back in Ohio I used the baby proof plug ins. They fit extremely tight.
Actually, if we can feel the cold coming in..then not only is the heat escaping but during the summer the hot air is also coming in and we're losing the AC they are charging us a fortune for.

Reactions: sabrelvssammy

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
That is something I need to do at this house. At the older house we lived in I took off all the outlet covers and cut blue board insulation to fit and it really made a difference. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You need to insulate outlets AND light switches; especially the ones that are on outside walls. Also add weatherstripping around doors and windows.

There was a hole in the wall in the cabinet under our cooktop when we bought our house. It was on a wall that backed up to our master bedroom closet. Last winter I noticed a REALLY cold draft when I opened the cabinet. Hubby covered it and my pots and pans are now quite toasty - LOL!

We have a pull down stairs for the attic in the hall. We could feel warm air coming in during the summer and cold air during the winter. We made our own cover for the stairs that you drop down over the stairs before you push them back up with hard pink insulation board.

We also recaulked around some windows and our dryer vent.

All of these little things made a BIG difference!

·
Registered
52 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts