Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The neighbors to the left of us have a chainlink fence. It's not too attractive. I am looking for ideas on how to soften or cover the fence on our side.

·
27,948 Posts
If your neighbors don't mind something pretty growing on it I'd plant a flowering vine like honeysuckle.
Added bonus, hummingbirds love'em.:)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Plant a viney type plant to grow on the fence. Altho the neighbors can take down any that grows on there side if they don't like it.

So maybe just something tall an ornimantal grass, or a row of your favorite flowering bushes.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
You can buy the slats that go through the links and that would provide not only cover but privacy as well. Lowe's has them for like $25.00 a package (not sure how much it covers)

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ellise said:
You can buy the slats that go through the links and that would provide not only cover but privacy as well. Lowe's has them for like $25.00 a package (not sure how much it covers)
Is this the weave stuff like lawn furniture sometimes has?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Plant roses of sharon along the fence?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ellise said:
But if the fence in theirs you would hve to get premision to do that and you would be putting it on their fence and they could legally do with them what ever they want to do.

I am a big People's court watcher so I tend to think using "the neighbor is gonna get me in court" thinking just to help cover my butt.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I've seen where people have woven reeds into them, you could use cattail leaves, it has kind of an earthy or even tropical feel...

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Sara, Yes I beleive it is. My only problem with planting vines and such is during the winter months they die back and then once again you have the problem with the ugly chain link fencing.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
my only suggestion is either to plant some things near the fence like bushes, plants, or put up your own style fence on your side, it is there fence so I wouldn't think that the slats that go in would be a good idea (unless you ask them and they agree) or even ivy type plants on it because again it it there fence and they might not want that on their fence..
So maybe you can talk to your neighbor and see what they say about it..

Eileen

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We're big honeysuckle and clemantis fans over here. You could also do climbing roses or even a grapevine.

But if you're more into hedges, maybe boxwood, or even a couple azaleas or rhodedendrons. Really, the sky's the limit. Hope you have fun with it!!

Laura

1 - 12 of 12 Posts