Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This the recepie i just found that sounds good and very healthy: does anybody have any ones with a good tomato base? I like lots of spices but working on less fat and portions.

Combine: 3/4 lbs extra lean hamburger
1 c skim milk
1/2 c uncooked long grain rice
1 med. onion, chopped
1 c dry bread crumbs
salt/ pepper
2/ shape with ice cream scoop, put in cp.
3/ Mix together 10 3/4 oz low fat, low sodium condensed mushroom soup, and 1/2 c skim milk. Pour over meatballs.
4/ cook on low 5 hrs.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
real cute ladies lol

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I am disappointed that this meal is not made with real porcupines.
LOL! You could try substituting a can of tomato soup for the cream of mushroom, and water instead of milk. I don't get good results using milk in the crockpot, anyway, unless it is canned evaporated milk. This sounds like a yummy, easy recipe. I prefer a tomato sauce on my porcupines, too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
OMG!!! Too funny!!!

I have to admit that I only opened this thread up to see if it has really gotten so bad for people that some are resorting to eating porcupine!

I am glad that this is not so....at least for you ;)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I've never met a procupine I didn't like - of either category (animal or edible)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
This the recepie i just found that sounds good and very healthy: does anybody have any ones with a good tomato base? I like lots of spices but working on less fat and portions.

Combine: 3/4 lbs extra lean hamburger
1 c skim milk
1/2 c uncooked long grain rice
1 med. onion, chopped
1 c dry bread crumbs
salt/ pepper
2/ shape with ice cream scoop, put in cp.
3/ Mix together 10 3/4 oz low fat, low sodium condensed mushroom soup, and 1/2 c skim milk. Pour over meatballs.
4/ cook on low 5 hrs.
This sounds wonderful but I have a couple of questions. I have never had a porcupine meatball.....
1. can TVP be used for part of the hamburger-would it change the texture?
2. dry milk instead of skim milk- mix or use dry?
3. homemade cream of mushroom soup

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. can TVP be used for part of the hamburger-would it change the texture?
i dont know dear. i never tried TVP. I suppose as long as it had enough bread crumbs( cooked more in skillet) to hold it together so it ownt fall apart.
2. dry milk instead of skim milk- mix or use dry? The milk would only be to make a sauce to cook the meatballs. I would use mixed milk (the dry skim milk powder in bags). I buy it all the time and mix it when i need it.
3. homemade cream of mushroom soupog-- If u can make hm cream cheaper go for it. I cant seem to make it cheaper here. I find its just as cheap to buy prepared. I dont like all the salt and fat in them . I try to buy low fat, low sodium as much as I can.
I'll be well preserved as I get older lmao;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts