Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'll keep this short & to the point...

i have 2 godchildren, one is almost 3 & the other is yet to be born. :)
problem: they live outta the country, need lightweight things
what i can do: sew, crochet, sorta knit (i dont enjoy this, but will if it's worthwhile).

i'd like any craft ideas you have that would be fun, useful, practical, light weight (ie, cheaper to ship), not huge.

what i have currently: receiving blanket, baby afghan, & scarf (for mom)

thanks in advance :)

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Sue, I'll send you a link on FB when I get home tonight. It's a site that has patterns to crochet (or knit) baby booties that look like monster feet. They are VERY VERY cute!!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I sewed a dog/cat/round pillow with clock on one side- china plate face on the other. . . then printed and framed the poem "The Duel"

Got a copy of "The Gingerbread Man". . . sent it along with a sewn or crocheted Gingerbread Man, and the fixings for gingerbread cookies.

Cloth "quiet" books -- any number of pages. . . . with lots of tactile things like velvet, corduroy, satin, etc. . .

small photo album with pictures of you, your home, etc. . . and single words or short phrases. . . Like Aunt Mary, my house, my church, etc.

I did a bunch of holiday appliqued t-shirts. . . . snowflakes for Jan, hearts for Feb., shamrocks for March, etc.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What about tie-dying some t-shirts and ironing on a cute applique afterwards. Or, you could get plain white shirts/onesies and paint or stamp something on it with fabric paint or those fabric markers.

Reactions: perSue

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow so far so good... i really like these ideas!!
i've written 'em down so i have 'em (and dont ask again!) LOL

keep the great ideas flowing! :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw Sunshine - what is "The Gingerbread Man"?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Sue--The Gingerbread Man is a fairy tale (run run as fast as you can can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man)

Also, I saw a knitted pattern for finger puppets made from the characters in Sandra Boynton's book. Very cute!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol i must be outta the loop. i never heard of these stories.
thanks tho i'll look around for them.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Any child's story works well . . . I've done lots over the years for various great nieces and nephews. . .

The Pokey Little Puppy
The Little Red Hen
The Little Train that Could

and so on. . .

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
What about sending them craft acitivities for them to do? At least the 3 year old anyway!

My mom sends the kids craft activities once a month. Sometimes it's pictures that she has drawn with black crayon, then the kids are expected to color it in and return it to her to put on her fridge. Other times it is craft kits that she has either put together or bought.

They love getting packages from her and love doing the activities!

And I second the cloth quiet books! My aunt made me one when I was born, and my kids still play with it! I keep thinking I am going to make one for someone, but I just haven't done it! But they are so cute~!

Reactions: perSue

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks i'll look into the little 'first readers' and see about making a cloth book. not sure yet what i'd make the theme of it... but it's only gotta be like 3 or 4 "pages"... so maybe just different textures of animals.... i'll keep thinking. :)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Textures of animals. . . or letters, numbers. . counting like on page 1 you have one picture of something, on page 2 two somethings, etc.

transportation -- coloring book pages are good places to get appliques patterns -- car, plane, boat, etc.

weather -- snow, rain, sunny, windy,

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Do they like sports cause you can knit them hats for their favorite team like football hats for the Chicago Bears in the bears colors That's what I'm gettting my newphews made I can't wait to see them. A friend is making them for me since I don't crochet or knit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts