Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time of year is crazy! there are all the end of the school year activities, celebrations, field days, concerts, field trips etc. It seems like there is some activity you have to attend or a permission slip to sign.

And with older children helping to make sure they have all their ducks in a row, all the i s dotted and the t s crossed as they prepare for all year cumulative finals.

There is all the summer wind up. Things to be signed up for. Parent information meetings to attend, camp open houses. ALl come a long with all the papers to be signed by this person and that person and the doctor. The things that need to be bought for the summer trips/camps.

My head is spinning so fast that I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels.

We missed information about a an very important meeting about Buddy's orchastera trip that he has been saving for , fund raising for and looking forward to all year. Which made him miss the first practice. I'm nervous that this might mean they didn't get him his plane ticket and room reservation. Hubby says that is probably a long shot, them not letting him go now, but I'm still nervous. If it means he can't go that would be an extremely big consequence.

What happens if I or Buddy or Little miss for that matter lets another ball drop? What will happen to the summer plans? What if we forget to buy something that is required or needed?

How do we get through the end of school year wind down and summer wind up with out an ulcer or losing our minds?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a huge calendar on the fridge. I write everything down, plus I have a day calendar I carry everywhere with me. I am notorious for walking around in a fog due to my medication. I have a spot (top of the fridge) where I put all the important papers regarding school. I only have one and she is just in grade two so I know right now things in my home are probably simpler for us. But I find it crazy as well. I have started a parenting course for difficult children which has home work. DD has once a week a therapy reading session where she reads to dogs. School trips, tutoring. When she is going to her dads. Appointments for both of us. IEP meetings with the school to prepare for next year. Spring cleaning and finding out what she needs for the summer what she out grew. If I don't write down bill payments and how much on my calendar I forget to pay them. Plus now I am doing my moms yard work, and still trying to fit in to see my grandpa once a week.
I know your pain because I feel like my head is going to fall off.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I use Outlook to schedule our lives. And, I am spoiled because my Outlook syncs up with my googlecalendar and then gogglecalendar syncs up with my phone (blackberry without a data plan). It took Hubby some figuring to be able to do that.

He is loving it because he has "permission" on my googlecalendar and he can add things now. I am no longer the "gate keeper" for the calendar. He can also look at it when he is at work to see what is going on. It has really been nice because it has enabled him to see what is going on when he needs to schedule some late night updates at work. He can see when it will work best for the family.

I have certain "codings" to make everything work:

If the date needs reserved but you don't know if the activity will happen or not, you put it in and put a question mark after it.

We try to copy the email to the body of the calendar entry and supply a link if there is one so everyone has all the info.

Directions to somewhere gets labeled "DIRECTIONS" and goes ahead of the info about the activity.

The first of the month is my "information day". If something needs to be checked on or should happen that month but doesn't have a set date, it goes on the first of the month.
For an example: The June 1st entries are:
azurestandard order is due
activity for the boys
berry picking? (to see if the strawberries are ready)
cow? (to see if the website is opened for ordering yet)
vacation? (to remind us that DH needs to schedule some time off)
and the dinner that is planned for that day (sloppy joes)

The things with question marks are things I need to check on. They will be moved out another month or a week (or a few weeks) depending on what information I find when I check on things. And then, I move them to next year's "June" when they are handled so I have the reminder for next year.

I do that with doc appts also. The boys only go for check-ups every other year. I have a note in November 2012 to remind me to make the pediatrician appts for the next spring. I have a note in like October (or maybe September) that one of the boys has a "retainer check". He doesn't have a set date, he just piggy backs when his brother in braces goes, but he is due around then.

I also have a calendar entries to remind me to buy flea stuff for the cats, to buy salt pellets for the water softener, when our driver licenses need renewed, and when the vehicles tags expire.

In essence, the calendar is my brain. I even put my grocery list in there as a calendar entry. I have a "to do" list in there also. I even had a calendar entry to remind me to get a ham out of the freezer so it can thaw.

Oh yeah, my meal schedule goes on there also. It makes it easy if a meal doesn't work out, I just move the calendar entry to where the scheduled meals end. It also makes it easy to see if I need a quick meal on that night.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm as good as golden if it makes it to a calendar.

With older children's things the meeting ect. seem to be last moment. Also with older children you don't get notes anymore the teachers rely on the students to tell their parents and the teacher just mention it in class once. A least that is the way it is here. They really want them to be ready for university life.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Awww... My guys went from being homeschooled to a private correspondence high school (so they are still "at home"). I am still in charge of their life somewhat.

We are trying to move in that direction. The twins are 13 and still need a bit of maturing before they get there. And, the oldest, well, we are wondering if he will ever be able to live on his own. We are looking at him and going "oh, that is why some 40 yr olds live in their mother's basement". He is intelligent and such, but I swear that child just doesn't have a clue sometimes. We are hoping that it is puberty-related.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awww... My guys went from being homeschooled to a private correspondence high school (so they are still "at home"). I am still in charge of their life somewhat.

We are trying to move in that direction. The twins are 13 and still need a bit of maturing before they get there. And, the oldest, well, we are wondering if he will ever be able to live on his own. We are looking at him and going "oh, that is why some 40 yr olds live in their mother's basement". He is intelligent and such, but I swear that child just doesn't have a clue sometimes. We are hoping that it is puberty-related.
My son is 14 goes to 8th grade The high school (only one in town) really encourages extra curricular. They will not let sports and non sport activities to over lap in meeting times. So if you child wants to do a sport and say debate or be in a play then they could be at school from 8am to 9 pm. Many children do this ( school then sport then non sport activity)

Today, I went to pick him up it was his non activity day. But when I got there he asked if he could say for Lego Robotics as they had an extra meeting to prepare for an up coming competition. Told him to come to the car first as I needed an information dump first. He gave me all the info I needed and he didn't have homework. So I will go back later.

I don't pick up my 4th grader today until 5:30 as she stays for audio visuals ( they make a news program tape it and air it in the school). She will meet her orchestra teacher for 15 mins of violin practice time before she heads to the tv after school activity. She does this twice a week.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I do the same as mentioned above. Along with all the school stuff we have soccer, volleyball, and swimming. I keep an outlook calendar and it's color coded by person which helps :)

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
June 1st. And it is ALL over. DS is child #2,the last to put up w/ the school system for. He is handling all the events this year and his school work. He starts comm. college on May 10th. We have his book. He drives himself. He leaves for Northern U. in August.

·
19,119 Posts
I think that the Pyramid Challenge here has helped me a lot to be focused. I am a list maker and must have things down in writing, easily accessible - you get the picture. Find what works for you and keep it up to date!! Let us know what works for you!!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think that my calender keeping/scheduling is what the problem is.

It might be my information gatherers. lol Buddy is now being treated like a high schooler ( he is getting ready for a high school trip) and the Middle school teachers switch over to how the high school does things for the 8th graders the last nine weeks.

I have to come to terms that I have a "high schooler" now. and that high school schedules are always changing at a moments notice and that there are different practice times and later practice times. (orchestra trip practice is 6 to 9 pm). So many changes. New fact of life learn to deal with it. I now know why every mom I know says that High school children need cell phones and that I needed to learn to text. For changes in schedule. Cell phones were even on the suggested packing list for the orchestra trip.

This year I think my head is spinning because it is the first time I have to prepare for trips/camps. I will be the first time for both the children to have an away trip without family. I am use to keeping this type of planning in my head but Hubby pointed out that is why I feel like I'm spinning. So I'm going to write down everything they need and mark if it is bought or not. They need so much. Also now that I have the information about the orchestra trip I can actually plan so that probably had me spinning my wheels too, I didn't have the information I needed.

The summer trips are also tagged right on to the end of school. so I'm doing both at the same time.

Also I think I have the emotional "baggage" that comes with both my children each leaving for a trip for the first time and both my children each staying over night with someone other than family for the first time ever.

They are growing up.:mushy:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Oh, imagine, I can soooo feel for you! I remember the month of May being so busy! Like you said---head spinning busy. :loop: Especially when I had kids at two different schools.

It was literally insane. My Dh had his own business so I had no help. I usually ended up being a taxi for one or two kids that weren't my own, too! Fun, but CARRRAZZZY! :toothy:

The hardest part was trying to cook a nourishing dinner that we could all sit down to somewhere in the midst of the insanity. I literally lived out of my crockpot and breadmaker back then. :hungry:

Like you said--it requires completely anal calender-keeping.

Try to get enough sleep, so you keep your own health up, and take 30 minutes a day to just sit and breathe.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, imagine, I can soooo feel for you! I remember the month of May being so busy! Like you said---head spinning busy. :loop: Especially when I had kids at two different schools.

It was literally insane. My Dh had his own business so I had no help. I usually ended up being a taxi for one or two kids that weren't my own, too! Fun, but CARRRAZZZY! :toothy:

The hardest part was trying to cook a nourishing dinner that we could all sit down to somewhere in the midst of the insanity. I literally lived out of my crockpot and breadmaker back then. :hungry:

Like you said--it requires completely anal calender-keeping.

Try to get enough sleep, so you keep your own health up, and take 30 minutes a day to just sit and breathe.
But in the mist of all the craziness. I get to sit down to end year concerts and relish in the joy of the kids and their abilities and or age. So it is all worth it.

Little Miss just had her end of year music performance. It was so cute seeing 4th graders singing and playing instruments. They passed out end of year awards. It was wonderful to see her blush when they gushed abut the girl who always had her nose in a book then announced her name for best reader.

Only two more concerts to go! one for each child. A few other activities have come to a close and the ducks are starting to fall into line for the summer activities.

There is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel and I think it might just be the summer sun.

Hopefully full of stories of the children's wonderful summer adventures this year. (first time at camp and first school trip out of state)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
June 1st. And it is ALL over. DS is child #2,the last to put up w/ the school system for. He is handling all the events this year and his school work. He starts comm. college on May 10th. We have his book. He drives himself. He leaves for Northern U. in August.
Cheers! My last (dd#2) is graduating May 21st and I am done, done, done.

But to contribute to this thread I would just like to say that I have multiple calendars. After having my entire life electronically and losing it multiple times I no longer keep everything in one location. The best system for me became a paper calendar at work, a paper calendar at home, and electronic for when I was on the go. I would keep all three updated. I plan to do this even after my last one has left the nest, its just working for me.

I felt a slight tug at my heart when I read of your situation, Imagine, but I have to say I don't miss the chaos. It is indeed a scheduling nightmare to raise busy children. :) You can do it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts