Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cream Soup Master Mix

Recipe Description
Dry mix to which you add water for a cream soup subsitute (i.e. cream of mushroom...celery...onion)​
Preparation Steps:
Combine all ingredients in large plastic ziploc bag.​
Level of Difficulty:
Time Needed:
Ingredients:
2 1/2 c flour
2 c dry milk
1/2 c bouillon powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp dried mushrooms, onion, OR celery (finely chopped)​
Serves:
Makes several cups of mix​
Directions:
When making a casserole, combine 1/2 c mix with 1 1/2 cups water; This makes the equivalent of one can of Cream of ________soup.​

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
OH, MAN! Thanks for this, Jinglebellesmom!

I have been wishing something like this existed, and trying to think how one would make it.

:clap::flowers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two books made by the make a mix girls, I really like them. I have put them up while we are trying to redo our kitchen....we're being held up by my husband's work being shut down. I could look for them if you girls need more recipes...

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
thank you...i don't like to buy soups in a can....i will give it a shot...

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Thank you so much for this recipe!! I didn't know something like this existed! :grouphug2

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this! I'll have to give it a try!

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
How did I miss this when it was orginally posted months ago??

oh well -
thanks tons!!

·
Super Moderator
20,053 Posts
I've used this recipe for years, or something similar. I mix a batch in a quart jar and have it handy on a shelf in the kitchen. The taste is somewhat different than canned soup, of course. We actually like it better now.

I use 2/3 c. to 1 1/4 c. water, which makes it thicker like a condensed soup would be. You can tinker with the ratio to get it to the thickness you like.

To prep this recipe, whisk the mix into cold water, then heat to boiling and simmer, stirring frequently, till it thickens. It doesn't take long. I've made it in the microwave sometimes, and last fall experimented with just stirring the dry mix into the other ingredients and then adding water. That worked okay, but I'm still tweaking that method and will never have very specific amounts for it anyway, just till it 'looks right'. Big help, eh? Click here for a pic of a couple dishes made with the soup. The cheesy potatoes were made by just mixing in the soup mix and adding water. Same concept as adding flour and milk for scalloped potatoes like usual. I did the green bean casserole, not pictured, the same way and it turned out good too. The crabby chicken recipe calls for a white gravy mix and the cream soup mix works just as well. For that, I made it up in a saucepan on the camper stove and poured it over, per the recipe. I don't think using it dry would have worked very well in that case.

I really like this mix because it saves money, reduces sodium and fat, and takes far less space to store than the equivalent of soup cans.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Here's a variation on the soup mix from Heloise

cream-soup mix

1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1T dried onion flakes
2 T cornstarch
2 T chicken bouillon granules
1 C non fat dried milk powder

mix & store in an airtight container

To make soup: put mix in saucepan & add 2 cups of cold water.
Cook on med, stiring constantly til thick
Add other ingredients (mushrooms, chicken, broccoli. leftovers) & let cook a few min longer.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thanks for this recipe! I'm going to pkg myself some RIGHT NOW!

·
Super Moderator
20,053 Posts
I added dry mushrooms to my mix once but IMO it's not worth it. They're so expensive and if we want mushrooms, we'd rather have bigger pieces that we actually notice are in there, so I'll just mix in a small can of mushrooms either sliced as they come out of the can, or chopped.

·
19,119 Posts
great ideas

Mahalo for the dried cream of soup ideas!! Save on all those cans too.

I'm thinking that it might be fun to make a holiday basket of a lot of these ideas including samples and the recipes for friends who have expressed interest, but little action....like me until recently!!

Reactions: jayneluvsmickey

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thank you for posting recipes going to try these hate buying those little cans that cost so much now can make casseroles much cheaper.

·
19,119 Posts
I am glad this came up again - very timely. I can make this up this weekend. And i can use some of the veggies that I have been dehydrating!! Mahalo!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts