Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
My former father-in-law use to work for Consumer Credit Counseling Services (CCCS) and they are legit. They charged $25.00 at that time to set everything up. Don't know if the amount is still the same now. They got our interest rates low or 0 on all our credit cards. It sure helped us pay off our debt alot faster.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont know but I would much rather spend that $25 to pay down my debt, most often you can call the companies you owe money to and set up payment arrangements, you can do this on your own, which is free.

·
Registered
125 Posts
most often you can call the companies you owe money to and set up payment arrangements, you can do this on your own
Surprisingly, that's not always the case. Six years ago, after fighting with the USPS for nearly a year about all the mail (i.e., our bills) that they were not delivering or delivering late (I would get cc bills anywhere from three to seven weeks PAST the due date, if at all, and one month I got four Sears bills within a three day time period - none of them the CURRENT month's statement!) and returning the payments (in the envelope that came with the cc statement and the address preprinted) to me as "undeliverable", I caved to my husband's wishes to get into a debt consolidation program. I hated the monthly maintance fee. I hated the way I had to close the cards before I could pay them off. The whole thing really screwed up my credit. The reason I caved? I was on the phone with the cc companies daily during the last half of that year I fought the USPS, trying to work out some sort of payment agreement and having no luck.

For a while (a few months after I realized there was trouble with the USPS), I knew roughly when the closing date for each card was so I would say "Screw it! I don't need a bill!" and call each company, go through the automated response thing and find out what was due for that month. I would often send the minimum unless I could afford to tack on a few extra dollars. That, however, didn't work. They (some months it would be just one company, some months it would be several of them) would say the payment was late (if the USPS isn't delivering to ME on time, why would they deliver to anyone ELSE on time??) or never arrived (sigh - another $45 lost for another stop payment...). By the time I mailed a second check, the payment was late and even though I had been in contact with them about it for weeks, I was charged late fees. Only one card ever reversed the late fees whenever I called, but in turn they jacked my interest up so high that it nearly doubled my minimum due.

I hated the debt consolidation with a passion, but I hated having to deal with the credit card companies daily with no results. They would not work with me, even though I could provide payment envelopes with the big red "NO SUCH ADDRESS" and "UNDELIVERABLE" stamps on them to prove that, yes, I DID mail them a payment, as well as their statements/bills to me postmarked weeks and sometimes months later than the due date! The debt consolidation was the lesser of the two evils, and the "maintenance fee" was the price I had to pay to keep my sanity (and my hair LOL).

Today, the debt-con is paid off (YAY!!) and I still don't get my bills regularly. I often get my electric bill two days before it's due and my water bill a week after it's due. The same with the phone bill and cell phone bill. I count it a "good month" if I get all the bills, even if they're late, because there are too many months when at least one of them is missing. I've figured out how to pay the bills without having the statement in my hand, though, and I've learned how to use the bill pay feature offered by the credit union to pay the bills so there is an official record of when payments were sent and not just my word on the matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts