·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cricketlegs Bulk White Gravy Mix

Recipe Description
White gravy that can be made into brown with meat drippings or stock paste.​
Preparation Steps:
I made my bulk gravy. There was NO recipe online so I figured it out myself using the basic formula I use to make it by the panful.

Mix all the dry ing. in a huge bowl and stir well. Put in air tight container to store.

__________________​
Level of Difficulty:
Easy​
Time Needed:
10 minutes​
Ingredients:
10 cups all purpose flour
4 cups powdered milk
1/4 to 1/2 cup of both salt and coarse black pepper
1 cup corn starch

butter, oil, or drippings, stock paste, water and /or milk(when made)​
Serves:
Directions:
To make-

take 3-4 heaping tablespoons of mix and place in 2 cup glass measuring cup. Add 1 and 1/2 cup water and whisk well.

In a sauce pan add meat drippings(beef makes brown gravy esp. if you add some condensed beef stock paste) (Chicken broth can be used in place of water.)oil or my favorite butter--about a tablespoon and melt.

Pour in mix/water mixture and whisk as it comes to a boil. Add either the remaining 1/4 to 1/2 cup water OR use milk or canned cream like evaporated milk.

It tastes fine with just water but the little milk makes it rich and creamy and very white.

Also, my family often salts and peppers it on their plates to taste when done.

Makes 56 2 cup servings.

Costs less than $7 to make. I rounded every thing up and guesstimated but my final numbers said it costs .12 a batch. More if using milk.

Makes 14 cups dry mix. 56 or so 2 cup servings.(should feed a family of 4-5)
__________________​

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Awesome!!! Thanks cricketlegs! I will definitely be mixing up a batch of this. :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Oh..that is so cut and pasted to my recipe book! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I made this. No kidding, it is the best gravy. I never could make gravy from scratch- and we were raised on it. But this mix has made me into the Gravy Queen at my house(lol)! My family loves me sooooo much when I make this.
Thanks Cricketlegs.

·
Super Moderator
19,759 Posts
Thanks! I make a dish called Crabby Chicken in the Dutch oven when we're camping, and it calls for white gravy mix. I often use the cream of something soup mix but this looks simpler and with less ingredients, so less expensive. I'll give it a try!

·
2,688 Posts
Thank you for sharing :)

I am going to make a small test batch first and see if the hubby likes it.
If so, I can make a larger batch up.
It sounds really good.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for sharing :)

I am going to make a small test batch first and see if the hubby likes it.
If so, I can make a larger batch up.
It sounds really good.
I always did the Tablespoons of flour and water and just added the milk the same as directions and made it by the panful.

Then I wised up lol.

Hope it works out for you. Remember you can use broth, meat drippings and stock paste too.

It is all about making the basic mix work for you and your family.

·
2,688 Posts
I have made lots of scratch gravy in the past but it has been awhile.
It's just the two of us now, so I try not to overcook.

I think this recipe will be a good one...putting in the milk sounds interesting. In the past I have used flour or cornstarch. Never both at once. So that is another difference.

Have you a recipe for a scratch pudding ?
Been a long time since I made one of those also :)

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am currently looking at an assortment of scratch mix recipes but won't pass any along unless I have tried them myself.

A little yuck factor insurance lol.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this the same gravy as Country Gravy? How long does it keep in the airtight container?
Yes it is country gravy and it will stay as good as the dry ingredients do. It has no shortening, oil, or liquids. That is the trick to it staying fresh.

I would say go by the powdered milk date as that really seams to be the first dry ingredient that would turn first.

·
Registered
81 Posts
YUMMMY!!! Thanks so much! Tried it tonight and made up a batch and ohhhh yummm! Wonderful wonderful!

·
19,119 Posts
I'm glad this one resurfaced - wounds great and will definitely add a variety to our menu!! Mahalo plenty!!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Thank you...My kids can't seem to get the gravy thing down..I plan to make a batch of this and make it part of there Christmas..

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Thank You cricketlegs. Another nice stockpile quickie. Hope you are doing ok???

Reactions: Cricketlegs

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Just happened to notice this recipe...not sure how I missed it, but I'm gonna try this one out in the morning for breakfast with some homemade biscuits! :dazed:
Thanks so much for taking the time to share this!

Reactions: Cricketlegs

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
bumped this up since I didn't know what cricketlegs gravy mix was.
I actually did a search online and it took me back FV

1 - 20 of 28 Posts