Frugal Village Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
whew!! I was so glad to read that!!! I will be trying this recipe very soon!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks Cricketlegs...can't wait for more mix recipes. Right up my alley.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I make homemade gravy a lot and this would sure shorten my time. I'll have to try this.

Just a note to about shelf life of the ingredients. I actually keep many of the ingredients in my freezer to keep them longer. I imagine you could do the same with them mixed up.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thumbs up Cricketlegs Bulk White Gravy Mix
Cricketlegs Bulk White Gravy Mix

Recipe Description
White gravy that can be made into brown with meat drippings or stock paste.
Preparation Steps:
I made my bulk gravy. There was NO recipe online so I figured it out myself using the basic formula I use to make it by the panful.

Mix all the dry ing. in a huge bowl and stir well. Put in air tight container to store.

10 minutes
Ingredients:
10 cups all purpose flour
4 cups powdered milk
1/4 to 1/2 cup of both salt and coarse black pepper
1 cup corn starch

butter, oil, or drippings, stock paste, water and /or milk(when made)
Serves:Directions:
To make-

take 3-4 heaping tablespoons of mix and place in 2 cup glass measuring cup. Add 1 and 1/2 cup water and whisk well.

In a sauce pan add meat drippings(beef makes brown gravy esp. if you add some condensed beef stock paste) (Chicken broth can be used in place of water.)oil or my favorite butter--about a tablespoon and melt.

Pour in mix/water mixture and whisk as it comes to a boil. Add either the remaining 1/4 to 1/2 cup water OR use milk or canned cream like evaporated milk.

It tastes fine with just water but the little milk makes it rich and creamy and very white.

Also, my family often salts and peppers it on their plates to taste when done.

Makes 56 2 cup servings.

Costs less than $7 to make. I rounded every thing up and guesstimated but my final numbers said it costs .12 a batch. More if using milk.

Makes 14 cups dry mix. 56 or so 2 cup servings.(should feed a family of 4-5)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts