Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I'd like to see if there's interest in having a crochet-a-long. A crochet-a-long is exactly that, we take a pattern and all crochet-a-long together!

The pattern I had in mind is: Pineapple Granny Afghan Square

I first made one of these several years ago as a participant in a crochet-a-long hosted by the designer, and it was so much fun! You can leave it as an afghan or make it into a pillow-ghan. And despite it's "complicated" look, it's actually an easy-to-crochet version of a granny square. It takes about 2 oz. of worsted weight yarn per square, and I made 24 squares, so figure 48 ozs. of yarn. The Red Heart Super Saver yarns work up really nice in this pattern, so it can be made inexpensively. For those of you who are already thinking about making Christmas gifts, this always makes a very nice gift!

CORRECTED NUMBER OF SQUARES AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ASSEMBLY ARE HERE: Pillowghans

It's a fun project to crochet, and I thought it'd be great fun to crochet-a-long with a group here on FV. If you're interested, please sign up here :)

·
19,119 Posts
LB - Sounds like a great idea!! As soon as I finish the hula costume sewing marathon, I'd like to join you. Are you using different colors for each square or what? Would it be really pushy to ask to see pictures of what you have already?

Reactions: Luckybustert

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I printed off the pattern when I got home from work tonight. I'll do a sample and see how it goes. Since I'm just making random afghans to donate, I could do that as well as anything else.

I think I'll try it with an H hook first. J seems very large for so open a pattern. Maybe it's the way I crochet. I'll check back in after I've done one. Now, to pick a color. It seems it could use something very pastel and soft, or very bold and bright. Hmmm. Wonder how it would look in bright red? It's not a color I use much, but I have some.

·
19,119 Posts
Good idea to try it in different colors. Pineapples, of course, can be any color!! One of my first wall hangings was a pineapple pattern that I did in blue - I think I posted a picture in one of my albums.

Think I'll play around with the colors too!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I'm interested..........so about three skeins....maybe I will do three diff. colors.............think each super saver is 7 oz......some of the older ones were 8.

don't think I have that much yarn yet.......will check and let you know.

will see how I do with this.......

LB - this doesn't look like something for a beginner........what do you think?

·
19,119 Posts
You can do it FF!! You are definitely no longer a beginner!! Just think - you can post pictures too. What colors are you going to choose?

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
You can do it FF!! You are definitely no longer a beginner!! Just think - you can post pictures too. What colors are you going to choose?
I might start it out and see.........not sure.........there was a 'clause' in the pattern that I wasn't sure about....but when I re-read it I think I understand. It had to do with the "dc around the hdc joining'........but I got it........I think.

Mine will be bright.............of course. I will have to dig through my yarn..........don't think I have what I want........might have enough in one color to try it.

·
19,119 Posts
Knew you'd be in this with us!!

I have a shade of yellow in mind that I would love to use and offset it with white - will see what I can find.

·
19,119 Posts
Not sure what I meant FF - just like the freshness of those colors together!!

Just realized that I can hit places like Michaels and JAs when I go to the mainland this summer - this could be very dangerous!! Need to make sure I have coupons in hand!! Must plan!!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you explain how this works?

Thank you
Faith
Hi Faith! A crochet-a-long is where everyone works on the same project. Each person is doing the same thing, but in their own way - it always so cool to see the individuality and creativity that everyone brings to their version of the project! I hope you can join us :)

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
LB - Sounds like a great idea!! As soon as I finish the hula costume sewing marathon, I'd like to join you. Are you using different colors for each square or what? Would it be really pushy to ask to see pictures of what you have already?

That's awesome, MM, so glad you're joining in the fun! No, it's not at all pushy to ask to see pictures.....and just as soon as I figure out where that husband of mine "reorganized" it to, I will take a picture of the one I kept and post it here. I went to get it out of the bedroom closet last night and found it wasn't where I'd last put it....pretty sure I know what he did with it (likely in a storage container with other blankets).

In the past I've always done this in one color, but this time I'm going to try doing it in three different colors. I've picked out a dusky blue, a tan, and an ombre that is a mixture of the two. Oh yeah....

CLARIFICATION ON AMOUNT OF YARN NEEDED:

It's 24 squares if you're doing it as an afghan. For a pillowghan, you will need 28 squares, so:

48 oz. yarn to make an afghan

or

56 oz. to make a pillowghan

I've made it both ways and it turns out great either way.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I printed off the pattern when I got home from work tonight. I'll do a sample and see how it goes. Since I'm just making random afghans to donate, I could do that as well as anything else.

I think I'll try it with an H hook first. J seems very large for so open a pattern. Maybe it's the way I crochet. I'll check back in after I've done one. Now, to pick a color. It seems it could use something very pastel and soft, or very bold and bright. Hmmm. Wonder how it would look in bright red? It's not a color I use much, but I have some.
I bet it would look great in a bright red! Do you crochet loosely? I get a 12" square with a J hook, but I'm sure an H could be used too. I'm curious what size squares you get with an H hook (and how the pineapples look with the smaller hook, so I hope you will share pictures! :) )

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good idea to try it in different colors. Pineapples, of course, can be any color!! One of my first wall hangings was a pineapple pattern that I did in blue - I think I posted a picture in one of my albums.

Think I'll play around with the colors too!!
I love pineapples, both the fruit and for what it represents:

"Besides its use as a food, the pineapple fruit has a long history of symbolism that persists today. When first cultivated in European greenhouses in the 17th century, it was used only by the wealthy to adorn banquet tables. It became a status symbol of the social elite. During the Napoleonic Wars, English caricaturists used the fruit to symbolize high living and opulence. European colonists carried the pineapple symbol back to the Americas to represent “friendship” and as an image of “welcome”. source: UCC Biology Dept. website"​

Are you familiar with the art of Scherenschnitte (papercutting design)? I have a picture right inside my front door that I did - it's a pineapple with the words "Welcome To Our Home".

Looking forward to hearing about the colors you've selected!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm interested..........so about three skeins....maybe I will do three diff. colors.............think each super saver is 7 oz......some of the older ones were 8.

don't think I have that much yarn yet.......will check and let you know.

will see how I do with this.......

LB - this doesn't look like something for a beginner........what do you think?
YES, I think it's suitable for a beginner. And since you're no longer a beginner, I'm sure you will do GREAT! (If you do happen to run into any problems, please let us know what's challenging you so we can help you through it.)

The nice thing about the Red Heart Super Saver is that there's no dye lot, so you could pick up just enough yarn to get you started and then get more as needed. (I like to get it all at one time because going to places like JA, Michael's or my LYS pose much temptation to add to my stash so it's usually a good idea for me to limit my visits :) )

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Knew you'd be in this with us!!

I have a shade of yellow in mind that I would love to use and offset it with white - will see what I can find.
This sounds very pretty, MM!

Sooooooooo...what do you mean 'offset'..........you mean the corners? That would look nice.
I'm also curious about how MM plans to do this - sounds gorgeous!

I'm thinking about using the flat braid joining technique to put the squares together this time. Was just thinking that might be pretty in white joining yellow squares.

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo for the flat braiding tutorial LB!! I'd love to see a picture of your pineapple paper cutting!!

1 - 20 of 246 Posts