Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to crochet. Would people buy shawls and baby blankets? If you think so, how much do you think they would pay? I work full time and have 3dc so I would have to sell as I got them made. I had thought about using the tradewinds (local "sell no longer wanted items" paper). Would that work? Is there a better way? I had wanted to do fairs but it would take a while to get enough made just for the booth fees. I do not do thread crochet. So, stuff like that is out.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Might want to read the 'get your business up and running' thread or some of the crochet threads as some of them talk about selling things........the price would depend on your area. Go to some of the craft shows and see what thing are selling for in your area. Also, what is 'in demand' and etc.

Also......how about CL?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply and suggestions.

I don't know anything about CL. I thought it was like our local tradewinds. I have the dc when I am not at work. The older two would be fine but the 2yo little ball of energy would be very destructive at a craft show.

·
Registered
166 Posts
there are several sites you can make and sell items. The most popular is www.etsy.com. When the kids are napping or after you put them to bed, read up on how to sell on there. There is a fee similar to eBay but its much less. You can put items up as you make them.

I have just started my research as well. I'm getting a photoshop lesson this weekend so after I figure out how to make my pictures even better, I'll post on etsy as well.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I too want to make a few extra bucks with my crafting. I am going to try a craft fair the first week of December. After that and once Christmas is over I am going to start listing on etsy. Everyone who I have talked to raves about it and it is quite inexpensive. :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
As a Master Crocheter, I made more money teaching crochet classes than I did from my hand crocheted items - even though I sold seemingly TONS of them. Another way to make good money with your craft is to make the model items for publications. I've only done a few model items for publication.

In the late 1980's I was able to place my quality handmade items in a museum gift shop (on consignment). I couldn't crochet fast enough to keep up with the demand for my items, as well as special orders.... That's when crocheted collars were all the rage. I also made beautiful napkin holders (I would sell them by the dozens) with matching coasters, lacy Victorian Christmas decorations, doily-like jar covers, sachets, filet crochet window valances, dresser scarves, doilies, wedding purses, and some baby/childrens items. One of the most sought after items were my original design for crocheted tea sets (cups, saucers, creamer, sugar bowl, and tea pot on a crocheted tray), which I made with #30 (very tiny) thread.

What I found out - you never get enough from selling them to pay for your time. For each thing you make, you'll get back the price for the thread/yarn involved, but you'll never get minimum wage when it comes to the time involved. So that's something to consider.

I used to work 8-hours a day as a professional knitter/crocheter, but I have paid-the-piper with arthritis in my fingers, carpal tunnel and tennis elbow now for my trouble, so I do very little serious needle work these days.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Grainlady,

I spent years doing all kinds of needle crafts (many of which I sold) and I have arthritis in my fingers, carpal tunnel, and tendonitis that moves around - wrist, elbow, etc.

I used to work 8-hours a day as a professional knitter/crocheter, but I have paid-the-piper with arthritis in my fingers, carpal tunnel and tennis elbow now for my trouble, so I do very little serious needle work these days.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If your patterns are original, you might want to try selling the patterns to crochet magazines. I did this in the 90's and have had some success with Crafts N'Things, Crochet Digest, Annie's Crochet Newsletter & Annie's Pattern Club. Some of these magazines have since changed their names. Although it was "hit or miss" when I would send my patterns & displays in ( sometimes they wouldn't have room for the idea or it wasn't exactly what they were looking for), they would pay $25 - $300 for the ones that were chosen. I would also suggest Etsy...that's where I'm at right now. It's much more convenient now that we homeschool.

·
19,119 Posts
I agree - it's very difficult to recoup your time spent on creating. I hope that etsy is a success for the crafters who sell there.

Reactions: many houseapes
1 - 12 of 12 Posts