Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I found this pattern for an afghan that I just love. I've started a practice one and if its any good i may give some as gifts for christmas...only problem is I don't understand what its asking me to do. I've got Row 1, that was easy...but I need laymans terms for Row 2:

THROW:
Starting at bottom edge of the throw, with three strands of yarn held together, loosely ch 67.
Row 1: Dc in 5th ch from hook, ch 1, dc in same st, * skip 2 ch, (dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch; repeat from * to last 2 ch, sk 1 ch, dc in last ch. Ch 3, turn.
Row 2: *(Dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch-1 sp-one V-stitch made; repeat from * across, ending with dc in top of turning-ch. Ch 3, turn.
Repeat Row 2 until 40 rows have been completed. Fasten off.

EDGING:
With the right side facing you, work 1 row of sc along each side edge of the throw.
I just don't know what its asking of me...

The pattern is here:

http://crochet.about.com/gi/dynamic...ttp://joann.lionbrand.com/patterns/cjif-5.htm

Please Help!!!

Also, after working Row 1, I've found that its gone kinda curly and twisty...is this because my original chain is too tight???

Thanks so much!!!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
The curly tightness is probably because your original chain is too tight. Try it again maybe with a crochet hook one or two sizes up from what the pattern suggests. then go back to the right size for Row 1.

As for Row 2, it means this:
In the first chain space (the space created in Row 1 when you dc, ch 1, dc) you are going to do the same thing:

dc, ch1, dc all in that one space.

When you do this you have made one "V-stitch". It's the pattern that is made when you do this sequence of stitches.

From there on, in every ch1 space (from the previous row) you are going to: dc, ch1, dc. At the very end of the row, you are going to end with just one dc in the last ch1 space. Chain 3 then turn.

Repeat that until the blanket is 40 rows long.

Hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Heather!!! That helps so much!!! I'm pretty good at technique (my gramma taught me) but when it comes to reading patterns...I'm absolutley clueless!!!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
cute pattern! good luck

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
I hear ya. I hate reading patterns and recipes both.
I guess I'm just not too keen on following instructions :toothy:

Good luck with the blanket. I know it will turn out great! This is the same pattern I used (V-stitch) to make my very first baby blanket. I added a ruffly edge by croching 5 treble crochets in each stitch all the way around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts