Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this together last night and we ate it this morning. Dh liked it better than I did, but it was pretty good (a little over done).

1 dozen beaten eggs
14 slices of bread (I used 8 slices of whole wheat bread)
2 1/4 c milk (lowfat or skim is OK)
2 1/2 c grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (I used both)
1 lb. sausage, cooked and drained
salt and pepper to taste
optional mustard

Grease sides of the crock with butter (I used spray and it worked great). If desired, spread mustard on one side of the bread and cut bread into large squares (yuck!). Make layers in the crockpot of bread, then sausage, then cheese, ending with a layer of cheese. Beat eggs with milk, salt and pepper. Pour into crockpot over layered ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 12 hours (8-10 probably would have been about right in my pot).

I think this is one of Ellise's recipes. I'd bet you could use frozen hashbrown potates in place of the bread. I might like it better that way, served with toast and jelly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hmm, I love my crockpot, but I bet this would be good made in the oven. You could broil it the last few minutes and end up with a crispy cheese crust.

I would substitute Healthy Choice sausage sliced thin (the old tummy can't handle real sausage).

Thanks for sharing...it sounds delish!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
That sounds yummy. I would definitely substitute the bread with hashbrowns though, because I'm allergic to wheat. I'll have to give it a try!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
Sounds so good! I may give this a try!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts