Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make new things for dinner and cut down on the spending, my mother gave me a brand new crockpot that she never used today, but I am scared to death to leave it running all day while I am at work. I have NEVER used one of these before and I am scared of a fire... please tell me I'm crazy ;)

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
OK. [in kind and gentle tone of voice] "You're crazy."

Seriously, I would not worry about a crock pot fire. Although there is a possibility for everything, I have not ever heard of this.

But use common sense. Don't set the pot on a towel, for example, or next to a roll of paper towels. I have used a crock pot for over 30 years and never had a bit of trouble. If you are really worried, use it for the first time when you are home so that you can get a sense of how it works.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Xadrian

·
Registered
900 Posts
Oh gosh...I thought you were gonna post about some new defect or something. Nope, never had a problem with my crock pots. I have used mine a lot in the last 15 years. So much that I bought a second smaller one at goodwill. I wanted the smaller one for side dishes and nacho cheese dip. It was $2 and it matched my big one and my kitchen decor. :D

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I read the title wrong and thought it said Crockpot Fries. I was thinking cool you can cook fries in the crockpot. LOL

I use my crockpot a lot to no fires. My counter does get a bit hot underneath it so I put silicone heating pads under it when in use. No more hot counter. Not sure it is necessary but it eases my mind.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I guess I look at it this way... we don't unplug our refrigerators when we go to work. And it's no different than leaving our furnace on.

I have never heard of a fire with a crockpot. I'm sure that if there were a fire it was because of faulty household wiring or the crockpot was mishandled (I know of one person that submersed the crockpot base in the dishwater to clean it...UGH... but it never worked again after that).

I wouldn't worry too much about a fire. A lot of times I will put a meal in the crockpot very early in the morning and go back to bed. Nothing has ever happened -- except I was awakened by a wonderful food smell. My mom used to do the same thing and she had hers for 25 years or so.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. However, I do leave mine on while I'm gone at work all day, and coming home to a hot dinner is marvelous. If it would help ease your mind a bit, why don't you try it over the weekend first, just to see how it works, how hot it gets, etc. That might help make you feel more comfortable.

·
4,028 Posts
I crock pot perhaps once a week in the warm months and have never had a problem. Again, as someone else already mentioned: use some good judgment in where you put it. Don't have it surrounded by items that will burn, where it can get bumped or pulled off the counter, etc. You can put it on a baking sheet so it has its own "space" while on. I tend to use mine when I am away all day or while I sleep. It is an incredible tool in the kitchen.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm in complete agreement with everyone else.
I own 3 crockpots and yes, I've had them all going at one time!

Other than the common sense advice already given, I'm also in agreement with giving your crockpot a few trial runs while your at home, before cooking in it while gone.

The reason for this is that some crockpots do cook faster than others, and this would give you a chance to see which temperature works best for your individual crockpot and also gives you an idea of how much water (if you are cooking things that include water/broth) that you need to add, in order to keep your food from scorching.

But yeah, I've been crockpotting for close to 20 years and on average I crockpot at least twice, most of the time, three times a week and I've never had any problems or concerns with it catching fire.

I LURVE my crockpots and they are also a wonderful way to bulk cook things, to freeze for later meals.

Happy Crockpotting!!:hungry:

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm with you - I'm scared of fires. But, that said I have 2 crockpots. I use them over night, when I can monitor them. Then in the morning when the meals are done, I just put them in the fridge til dinner time.
:wave:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I've been using my crockpot for DECADES (did I actually just say that?!) and have never had a fire. Sometimes I put it on my stovetop or on my kitchen counter, but it is a good idea to not have it sitting next to things. I love my crockpot.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have used crockpots for many years and only had one problem..... Don't have one on the ground ready to be packed for moving and have a little one come and plug it in while you are in the shower.....yes it was on a rug..... yes it started the rug on fire... yes it was an interesting day . Luckily the rug started smoking yes I took care of it wrapped in a towel.... Oh bother as Winnie the Pooh would say.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We used my MIL's old crockpot. I swear this thing was out of the stone age with a braided cable to plug in. Anyway the only way I could cook with it was to put it in the sink other wise it would melt the countertop. Not a good thing if renting.
Anyway I complained to Ray and he saw how much I used it so he bought me a new one. OMG the outside barely gets warms while cooking. Love it

Even with the old one I would set it and leave for the day. Other then almost melted counter tops no fires

·
4,028 Posts
The reason for this is that some crockpots do cook faster than others, and this would give you a chance to see which temperature works best for your individual crockpot and .....
Yeah, I didn't think of this and it is very true. Thank you for bringing it up. My 2 qt crockpot can reach a simmer on its high setting. And one of my 6 qt oval crocks doesn't heat as well as the other one. It makes a big difference in what I cook in them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have used a crockpot for years with no problems but like you I am deathly afarid of fire after losing a home to an electrical fire. I always just put the food on overnight and then when I came home I reheated it.I too have never heard of a fire caused by a crockpot. I also thought it said fries when I first read it. You know what they say......great minds think alike!!! or in this case read alike. lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, I'm going to try it out this weekend while I am home and see how it goes. I can just see myself at work thinking the house is burning down, not so much worried about the house, but my little friend is in here :cat: :)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Tina I felt the same way you do when I first bought my crockpot. I'm also deathly afraid of fires. It took me about a year to get used to keeping the crockpot on while I was at work. On my crockpot it has where you can cook for four hours, six hours, or eight hours. After the certain number of hours I put on the crockpot it automatically goes to the warm control. Until I figured this out I would only use my crockpot when I was home. I love my crockpot and very seldom use the stove for cooking meals.

·
Freebie Queen
2,691 Posts
I use my crockpot all the time and have never had any problems. I have two crockpots, one large and one smaller. They don't even get warm on the outside of the crockpot. I was just watching crockpot recipes on youtube. But I did find this:

[edit] fire risk
Removed from the article:

A check of Usenet and News articles failed to find one article in which a crockpot started a fire. A minority seem to be frightened that the crockpot will cause a fire when they are not looking. The majority of responses point out that crockpots are designed for long hours of unattended cooking, that they leave appliances on all the time without incident, and that they have never had a problem with their crockpot. Many users report that burning food is nearly impossible as overcooking a stew merely turns it to an edible mush. The most likely source of a fire using a crockpot would be a shorting of the cord (a hazard with any electrical appliance that can be avoided using the right fuses and/or circuit breakers, not keeping mice or animals which chew cords in the kitchen and not testing out knives on said cord).

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If it is a recent model in good condition and you don;'t run it on a stack of newspapers or a puddle of gasoline- you'll be fine, seriously.

I tell you that, but then again I am the one CONVINCED the house will ignite if we leave the toaster (5 years old) plugged in, so I 'get it'.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
... please tell me I'm crazy ;)
well, you asked for it! You're crazy

Now on a more serious note, no, I've never ever ever had a problem with one. I have had them running all day or all night, while we were home while we were out, they've been really reliable. :hungry: no fires thus far! :smirk:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts