Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*This can also be done in the oven at 250 degrees for about 4 hours.

2 lbs. stew beef
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup sliced onions
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
2 cups beef stock
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (4 oz.) can mushrooms, drained
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1-1/4 cup cold water

Brown beef in oil. Put sliced onions, garlic and bell pepper in bottom of crockpot. Add beef and remaining ingredients except the cornstarch and water. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to crockpot and simmer until thick.

Serve over rice.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
that sounds really good. i have never cooked in a crock pot..i have been thinking about buying one

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG, are you in for a treat! I can't live without my crockpots. You can save so much money cause you can buy the tougher, cheaper cuts of meats, throw them in the crockpot and they cook up fork tender. Plus, the fact that you can throw everything in, walk away for 6-8 hours, and your food is waiting for you when you get back to it, and it's hot and yummy! You just don't know what you're missing not having a crockpot, or two. I have 3!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
reciepe

Love this, can't wait to try it......I of course will be making the "deer" version--hahahha!!!:tom:

·
4,028 Posts
That really sounds good. I'll be giving that one a try.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love this, can't wait to try it......I of course will be making the "deer" version--hahahha!!!:tom:
Me to, but I thought I would post the original recipe. When we have deer in the freezer, I totally forget about beef.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
freezer

We have 4 in the freezer now, I usually break it up and get chicken on sale or sausage, but for about 2 years they eat pretty much all deer, and love it--(right before this hunting season, I ran out of deer and had to buy beef:weeping: and the kids asked why dinner tasted so weird and didn't want to eat it)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have 3 processed in the freezer so far. Hubby has been working alot lately and hasn't had the time to hunt, but he will be able to do a little hunting this next week. The guy that processes our deer makes the best sausage (his own recipe) and it taste better and is actually cheaper than the store bought sausage. I have him package it in 1 lb bulk packages so I can make patties or use it in recipes. He also does the links, but we love the bulk.

I do buy chicken and turkey on sale at the store. BIL is butchering two pigs here shortly and he always give us chops and roasts, but we don't eat alot of pork cause hubby has gout and I have high blood pressure (controlled, but still!). We just love the taste of deer meat, and it's nice not having to even look at the beef prices in the stores. I prefer my ground deer over any and all hamburger out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts