Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not feeling really well and wanted some soup, but I didn't want to heat the house up or waste electric so I decided to give bean soup in the crockpot a go.

Here's what I did;

Used the quick soak method on a 1 lb. bag of great northern beans.

In crockpot I sprinkled garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, celery seeds and a bay leaf.

Then I put 1 can of carrots with juice and 2 cups cubed ham.

added beans and placed uncooked ham fat on top. Then filled with water just to almost cover and cooked on low all night.

I removed ham fat and gave to the dog, and gave it a good stir.

My husband was shocked the beans cooked in the crockpot. Frankly I was too. Turned out to be a great tasting crock of soup.

Reactions: Brat and tbs727

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sounds great!!

I always cook my beans in the crock pot. It's the only way I have made them for years.

Here's my favorite for your collection.

3-4 ham hocks
1 lb. pk of great northern beans, dry
1/2 -1 onion, chopped
carrots, celery chopped
2 large containers of chicken broth
bay leaf, salt and pepper

Lay ham hocks in bottom of crock pot
sort and then pour dry beans over and around the ham hocks
add the veggies and spices, then pour the broth over the top of the beans and meat to within 2 inches of the top.

Cook on low all night.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The crock pot is a great device, and can probably cook most food.

My only irritant with these devices is that the heating element is a ring instead of a heating system around a heavy pot to distribute the heat. The food sticks to the heat ring area unless stirred fairly often, particularity is the pot mixture is thick.

I have often looked for a properly constructed crock pot, but never found one.

I seldom use my cock pot now, but will again if some manufacture makes one that has even heat distribution, by constructing out of heavy cast iron with the heating element probably wrapped around the pot and also underneath, also better temperature control. But I am dreaming.

My alternative is the Pressure Cooker or the Dutch Oven.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts