Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked out a bunch of slow cooker recipe books from our local library this was one of the "keepers" :D Of course you can spice it up if it tastes too traditional to you.

1 LB Ground Beef (cooked, drained)
2 cans (15oz each) hot chili beans (undrained)
2 large green peppers (chopped, optional)
1 large onion (chopped)
4 celery ribs (chopped, optional)
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 envelope Chili Seasoning (I used an envelope of Light Sodium)
2 garlic cloves (minced, optional)
1 package (7oz) elbow macaroni (cooked, drained)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cook and drain ground beef and chop or mince vegetables. Add ground beef, beans, green peppers, onion, celery, tomato sauce, and envelope of chili seasoning to crockpot. Cook on LOW for 6 hours or until cooked all the way through. Boil elbow macaroni according to box directions, drain. Mix together chili and elbow macaroni. Enjoy!

I do not add green peppers, celery, or garlic when I make this. I also prefer light red kidney beans for this recipe. (We just arent big on spicy stuff.) I stock up at Walgreens when they have Hunts 8oz tomato sauce for $.39 or 3/$1. I also stock up on pasta during sales, sometimes even get it free after coupons! I also buy store-brand envelope of chili seasoning for about $.59. This is very affordable, about a $5 dinner at the most! And if you have a small family like us then theres usually enough for leftovers!

·
19,119 Posts
I agree - mahalo for a great crockpot recipe!! I am going to substitute low carb pasta and we'll be good to go - will deinitely make this is August when it's too hot to cook!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'll definitely try this since our weather's getting cooler, but I'll probably sub ground turkey for ground beef and only use half a pound since it's got lots of beans.

·
Registered
328 Posts
ooooo weeeeeeeeeeeee!! This sounds great!! Thanks so much!! We will have to try this one!! Thank you so much!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts