2 cups of rolled oats
6 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
desired fruit​
Serves:
8-10​
Directions:
if you use fruit, line the bottom of the crock with it, I love this with raisins!
then pour all remaining ingredients in and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
stir thoroughly and eat it all because it rocks!!!​

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just made Irish oatmeal (steel rolled oats) in a crockpot. It was ready when I woke up and I loved it. I hate regular oatmeal. I'll have to try your version. Thanks!

Reactions: StaceyS

·
Registered
513 Posts
I just made Irish oatmeal (steel rolled oats) in a crockpot. It was ready when I woke up and I loved it. I hate regular oatmeal. I'll have to try your version. Thanks!
Do you find steel rolled oats at the grocery store with regular oats? I had them in a recipe once and they were wonderful. The lady who made them said that you will never go back to regular oats after eating them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I will give this recipe a try. We camp a lot and this would be great.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Heidi: I found them in a smallish, white box in the 'oatmeal/grits' section of the local grocery store (Piggly Wiggly). I cannot remember the name brand, but I can check later. I've also seen them at Whole Foods, I think... Yeah, they are that much better than regular oatmeal, but they do require a long time to cook, which is why the crockpot is ideal.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Heidi: I found them in a smallish, white box in the 'oatmeal/grits' section of the local grocery store (Piggly Wiggly). I cannot remember the name brand, but I can check later. I've also seen them at Whole Foods, I think... Yeah, they are that much better than regular oatmeal, but they do require a long time to cook, which is why the crockpot is ideal.
Thanks. I will look for them. Can you use them in cookie recipes instead of regular oats? Sorry to ask so many questions.

·
Registered
330 Posts
That, I can't help you with. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I get my steel cut oats at my local store in th organic section. I buy them in the bulk bins. They are .99 a pound. They also have them with the other oats and breakfast foods but the are like $6 for a 24 oz container. SO if you can buy them in bulk it is way cheaper.

I also do not think that you can use them in cookies as they are like little rice pellets and are kinda hard. That is way they take a long time to cook.
DH and I love it in the crock pot.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thank-you soooo much for sharing this recipe!:cheer4:

I have seen other crockpot oatmeal recipes using the steel cut oats but not regular oats, so I'm super excited to finally find one!

Can't wait to try it!:hungry:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I loved baked oatmeal...I've never tried it in a crockpot before........now I just have to get me some oatmeal! :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
This sounds so good! I just received my first Crock Pot for my Housewarming and will definitely try this soon.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought rolled oats were rolled oats, whether or not they were steel rolled or not.

I have to admit, I microwave my oatmeal, it has a different texture, but it is a lot easier for me and I like the different texture. I wouldn't eat oatmeal everyday if I had to cook it the *real* way. It is so cheap so I'm glad I don't mind.

yummmmm oatmeal.

KB

P.S. whats really fun is if you have a little left over heavy whipping cream to put in your oatmeal, it is such a treat!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hmm...I'm definitely going to put this in the crockpot before I go to bed tonight. I think I'll add apples and raisins. I'll let you know how it turns out. Sounds yummy!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
I am absolutely going to try this. It sounds delicious!!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
It does sound really good, but at an 8-10 serving size, I don't think I could cut it down enough to make it worthwhile pulling out the crockpot! :( Maybe if I could convince my parrots and dogs to have some with me... :)

I always cook it in a pot. Does the crockpot version taste different? It does sound nice to wake up to hot oatmeal, as I am typically more in the mood to cook at night than I am in the morning!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Okay, it's in the crockpot, and I'm going off to bed. I used 2 chopped up Granny Smith apples for the fruit, and I used Silver Palate thick and rough oatmeal.

I am really, REALLY looking forward to eating this. I'll post my review in the morning :cat:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Okay, I ate this for breakfast. Here's the verdict:

Pros: Easy to put together, tastes great
Cons: Came out really soupy. I tried cooking it a bit longer in the hopes that it would thicken up, but it didn't.

I would definitely make this again, but I think I would go with the OP's suggestion of using raisins. I might scale the water back a bit, too. I know that some people like soupy oatmeal, but I like mine thicker. All in all, it was really good!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts