Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of my hubby's all time favorite venison dishes.

2-3 lbs. venison steak (or as much as you prefer)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
2 cans mushroom soup
2 cans beef broth
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

Brown venison in small amount of vegetable oil and place in crockpot. Saute onion and bell pepper in pan drippings and add to crockpot. Make a gravy with the remaining pan drippings, flour and beef stock. Pour gravy and any remaining beef stock into crockpot. Add soup, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Cook all day or all night on low or until vension is tender. DON"T LIFT THE LID FOR AT LEAST 8 HOURS!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Marshhen, is it necessary to brown the steak first or can I just throw it in the crockpot with the beef stock and then thicken the gravy later?

DH was given some venison steak and since we have never had it before I wasn't sure how to use it!

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
This sounds so good! I have lots of venison in the freezer! Yum!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaisyLady said:
Marshhen, is it necessary to brown the steak first or can I just throw it in the crockpot with the beef stock and then thicken the gravy later?

DH was given some venison steak and since we have never had it before I wasn't sure how to use it!
Better to brown in oil and make gravy with drippings. Vension is very lean meat and doesn't have the marbling of fat like beef. Browning the meat first helps seal in what natural juices the vension has and it will make it very tender.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts