1 whole roasting chicken
olive oil flavored cooking spray
seasoning salt, to taste
foil​
Serves:
varies​
Directions:
Directions
1-Make 4 or 5 loose balls of aluminum foil and place in bottom of crock pot. (you can also wrap potatoes in foil and set the chicken on top)
2-Clean chicken inside and out. Spray with olive oil spray.
3-Sprinkle generously inside and out with seasoned salt.
4-Put chicken back-side down in crock pot (on top of foil balls).
5-Cook on high 4-6 hours​

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have cooked chicken this way many times before and it is delicious. The only thing I did not like was that the skin did not crisp (maybe I did something wrong) but the flavor is awesome.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree the skin doesn't crisp though it does brown and look very nice. The skin pulls off very easily which is a plus for us because we don't eat the skin.

Andrea

I have cooked chicken this way many times before and it is delicious. The only thing I did not like was that the skin did not crisp (maybe I did something wrong) but the flavor is awesome.

·
Registered
904 Posts
maybe you could just crisp the skin under the broiler?

I love me some chicken! But I usually either fry it, pressure cook it or rotisserie it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i make one just like this from 365 days of crockpotting. fabulous. ball up foil. remove chix skin...make spice rub mixture...wala. dinner served..fabulous. even better than the $10 grocery rotissiere chic ....

·
19,119 Posts
That sounds really good and easy!! Mahalo - have a chicken in the freezer that I will try this with!!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
their must be enough juice n the chk right that we didnt need any water on the bottom of the cp for steam right?

·
Registered
541 Posts
to avoid some of the condensation that keeps the skin "soggy", try putting about 4 layers of paper towels on top of the crockpot and set the lid down on them. About half way thru the baking time, change out the paper towels. When you lift the lid, keep it level until you get it away from the crockpot and then tilt it sideways so that the condensation on the underside of the lid drips elsewhere, not into the pot.

I have done this with various crockpot recipes and it does help, I've just never personally done it with a whole chicken.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad so many of you have found this useful :) Ever since finding this recipe I have cooked this once a week. It makes enough chicken for us to have it for 2 dinners and 2 school lunches for my son.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
it is a good one. i change up the spices sometimes. all depends what i have or dont at that time. we dont use much salt, so, no season salt for us. i have found that chilli powder, cayene pepper, black pepper, ital seasoning, garlic powder and a tad of onion salt work great!!! i dont rub the chix w/ oil or spray and i take the skin off before seasoning to make it a bit healthier.

·
8,714 Posts
~I made this last night. I was skeptical because it just smelled "ok". We were amazed at how moist and delicious the chicken was. It was very much like a rotisserie bird! And it was 10X easier getting all the meat off the bones than a roasted bird.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, I may never make a whole chicken any other way again! I couldn't thank your original post so I thanked another post on this thread. :D~

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
For those of you that roast the bird in the crock w/o skin - do you remove skin and slather on dry spice mix then start the cooking process or do you partial cook, remove skin & then season?

Just curious.

I know the suggestion of potatoes was listed but I was thinking of using a wire steaming rack we have instead so all the drippings go to the bottom of the pot instead making it possibly healthier?

ALSO - how difficult is it to clean the bottom of the crock once the bird is done? TIA!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i take off all skin and wash. then apply spices. i just ball up the foil. and i do spray the CP w/ PAM. clean up is a cinch. no issues.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
i take off all skin and wash. then apply spices. i just ball up the foil. and i do spray the CP w/ PAM. clean up is a cinch. no issues.
Thank you, thank you! This sounds like a great meal for this week with the wintery weather we're finally receiving. Get the bird going in the CP, rice in the rice cooker and veggies nuking and dinner will be complete! LOL All w/o the stove. :D

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
thanks for the recipe!!!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Road tested this recipe - was awesome! Since we don't eat the skin, it didnt matter if it didnt crisp up for us....very super tender & moist chicken. I used a rack to rest the bird on and shoved the cavity with A LOT of smooshed garlic cloves and lemon wedges. DELISH!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts