1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Thanks for the link :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thanks, I love yogurt and this might be fun.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I tried making the yogurt according to the Crockpot Yogurt recipe above but my yogurt was still runny at the point I was to refrigerate it. I did an internet search to see what I had did wrong and came up with this.

I placed the crock back in the base of my crockpot and turned the crockpot back on until it heated for about 5 minutes and then I turned it off. I then wrapped a heavy towel around the crockpot to keep it warm. Every hour I repeated this and after about 4 more hours, my yogurt was set. Hopefully this information will help you if you run into trouble.

I would suggest you do not remove the crockpot from its base if the yogurt looks watery, as you might jostle it too much and ruin it.

Yogurt Coupons

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting! I never considered using my crockpot. I actually made my first batch of homemade yogurt yesterday, and this is the method I used. It turned out very well and was nice and thick. I think adding the 1/2 cup of powdered milk makes a big difference when it comes to getting the yogurt to be thick rather than runny. :thumb:

1 quart non-fat milk. (You can use 2% too)
1/2 cup powdered non-fat milk
2 tablespoons plain yogurt with active cultures
Thermometer (glass candy thermometer works well)

Mix the milk and powdered milk thoroughly in a sauce pan.

Heat until 180 degrees, stirring frequently.

Remove from heat.

Let temperature drop to 115 degrees. This took about 45 minutes or so.

Add the 2 tablespoons of active plain yogurt. Stir well.

Temperature must be in the 115-degree range for a minimum of 4 hours. This can be achieved by setting the pan on a heating pad or various other methods. I started out using the warming area on my ceramic-top stove, but that kept the temps too high, in the 120-degree range, so I broke out the heating pad and used that instead. I checked the temps every 10 minutes or so and adjusted the heating pad levels as needed.

The longer you allow the yogurt to cultivate, the more tart it will be. I don't like mine very tart, so I stopped at 5 hours.

This batch made a little more than 4 cups of plain yogurt. I put it in 4 individual glass bowls with lids and refrigerated them.

When ready to eat, I added about a tablespoon of sugar and raspberries to mine. You can individualize it however you wish.

Also, this plain yogurt can easily be made into cheese by using cheesecloth in a colander and letting the whey drain out. Add herbs or use plain as a cream cheese substitute.

Gina

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have been looking for a yogurt recipe! I just keep forgeting thanx!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts