Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 April 2011 Crocus 1 April 2011 Crocus
Crocus, the first of the season. This undamaged crocus patch is revealing, since it indicates there are no rabbits in the garden area. Usually the rabbits eat this delicious, to them, plant off without fail. The tulips and daffodils are also starting to break through the ground. It snowed about two days ago , and is slowly disappearing.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Nice!

My daffodills have small bulbs on them already, and the tulips have fat leaves. I'm so excited! I love Spring!

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
I always look forward to the crocus as they are the first sign of the end of winter here. Mine are long gone now. The hyacinth are in full bloom and the first 3 tulips have started to open.

·
27,948 Posts
Great season ahead for you & Nina, thanks for sharing a bit of Spring with us. Snow still flying here with temps having a hard time getting with the program. Hope to share some swelling buds of some plant with you soon.;)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I don't think I will grow crocus. One of the only times I ever had crocus, was after my dad rototilled a crocus bed (not knowing they were there) and we had a bazillion of them, and they didn't stop spreading, and took over EVERYTHING!!! They would have to be very contained IF I ever did grow them.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I don't think I will grow crocus. One of the only times I ever had crocus, was after my dad rototilled a crocus bed (not knowing they were there) and we had a bazillion of them, and they didn't stop spreading, and took over EVERYTHING!!! They would have to be very contained IF I ever did grow them.
Oh really? Good to know, I saw a picture in a Home & Garden magazine where they suggested you throw out crocus bulbs randomly, then plant them where they land. Then they showed a picture of a snow-covered front lawn with purple crocus popped up all randomly among the snow. It was so pretty that I've kept the idea in the back of my mind planning to do it but I don't want something that's going to take over my grass or be too obvious through the rest of the year with its different leaves in my front lawn looking like weeds. Thanks, I'm reconsidering.

Has anyone done this type of planting themselves? If so how did it turn out for you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts