Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Over the holidays I decided to go through all of my unfinished projects. Lo and behold, I have guite a few cross-stitch projects that are started or half-finished. There are also a few needlepoint and a couple of embroidery projects that also need finishing.

Cross-stitch:
-Carousel (detailed horses with blending filament...eek!)
-A letter in illuminated script (I keep frogging the stitches and starting over)
-Two quilting ladies (I keep setting in down and forgetting it.)
-Simple rendering of old Alexandria, Virginia (2 buildings done)
-Perforated paper Garden Angel
-Panel of spices
-Chihuahua on pillow
-Hummingbird
-Panel of herbs

Needlepoint:
-Celestial Sun
-Pansies
-Landscape
-Victorian house

Embroidery:
-Lion and lamb
-Bedtime Prayer

This is going to take awhile. :ponder:

SO...What will YOU be working on in 2008?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I have plastic canvas xmas santa in sleigh i need to finish, afghans i need to make, and lots of scarfs and hats duo's for xmas gifts.
I made a few years ago embroidered squares for quiliting and never finished the rest or did anything with them. I should try this year to either put them together as quilt or make them as pillows or maybe a framed picture as a gift.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I vow to finish the x-stitch I started for my nephew early last year. Work pressures got in the way and I just never did feel like working on it.
I also need to fix a spot where I can do this and be able to have all my stuff sitting there ready to go.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I really wouldn't mind starting up embroidery again. I haven't done it since I was a teenager. It would be nice to make some towels for my family for Christmas...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Suzee -- good thread! (Not the greatest pun but still...)

I will have to go sort through my cross stitch projects -- I know I have several that I set down and never picked back up. I think one is a dish towel with a rooster on it for a friend who loves roosters. :chicken: Then, in the back of my mind, I remember something related to Christmas tree ornaments, but can't picture what I was doing. The thing is I think I started them for two Christmases ago and then forgot all about them! Ack!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have 3 finished projects (one an angel holding an American flag, another one that says 'God, Family, Country', and one that is a bird and birdhouse that reads 'Welcome.') that I need to frame.

I haven't worked on cross-stitch in months because of working, pregnancy, moving, new baby, etc. but I am going to pick it up again any day now (I hope). I have 4 projects:

*The Annunciation (Virgin Mary and a dove descending on her). I started on this one and am not very far into it yet, since it is a large one.

*The Innocent (I think it is called that--it's based on a painting of the Blessed Virgin holding the baby Jesus and there is a lamb in the picture--it's one of my favorite religious pictures). Have the pattern and the floss but haven't done anything on it.

*one of an American eagle that I picked up at Michael's for 40% off in the last few months. Opened but not started (this is a stamped pattern).

*another one of the 4 seasons that I also got at Michael's (another stamped one I think). Not opened.

I really need to pick one of these up and start working--it's a great de-stressing tool for me (and with 4 kids under 10, I have a wee bit of stress).

·
Registered
820 Posts
I belong to a couple round robins, so I have a couple projects there. I am finishing up a sampler that I started for my daughter when she fist got her house a , should finish it this week or next.couple years ago

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I started a Winnie the Pooh cross stitch while my dd was pregnant last year. It's a kit and now I know why I don't like them. Too many 1/4 stitches.
A fabric yo yo quilt.
I like to make summer hand bags and I have the stuff (with the exception of zippers) but have not made them.
I also bought some liquid potpourri and unflavored gelatin to make room refreshers and have not done that either.
You would think the 5 minute project would at least get done. All those pretty jars I have been saving going to waste.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Miss Thrifty...Have you been able to put time in on the plastic canvas Santa & sleigh? Scarves and hats? What color and type of yarn? They are fun to make. The embroidered squares sound lovely! Have you decided to frame them or "pillow" them?

jolinekacie...Were you able to work on your nephew's cross-stitch? What is the pattern? Have you found a good spot for your stitching?

tbs727...Oh, embroidered towels are wonderful! What patterns and colors are you looking at?

voodidit...Have you been able to finish some of your plastic canvas projects? What projects are you working on? They are so sturdy.

Mopsiehoney...Eek! I understand. Have you been able to work on the rooster? Did you find the Christmas projects you mentioned?

Hoosier Momma...Congratulations on the new baby! Have you had any time to pick up your stitching to de-stress and unwind a bit? (How is the Annunciation coming along?) You certainly have your hands full. Are you all settled in at your new home?

pqb57...I've never done a Round Robin. What is it like? What projects are you working? Were you able to finish your daughter's sampler? How does she like her house?

pkellyc...Were you able to finish the Winnie the Pooh? I agree...lots of 1/4 stitches in some kits. I'll bet it looks nice, though. A Yo Yo quilt! That is lovely! How is that coming along? Oh, say, the room refresher jars sound like a great project. What scents do you use?

UPDATE: Making progress on some cross-stitch projects and had to pick back stitching on the needlepoint Victorian. Two shades of red are really difficult to tell apart...until I finished stitching those areas...oh well. :rolleyes: Back at it!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't really have any unfinished pieces in progress right now but.... I do have this big stack of finished work I need to do something with. Every once in awhile I take them out and look at them, then put them back in the closet. I need to frame and hang them on the wall or give them as gifts. Most are odd shapes and sizes that would require custom framing. My work really isn't good enough to want to put huge amounts of money into frames. But they really aren't doing anyone any good sitting in my closet. Maybe I'll work on doing something with them this year.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi! This might help? I was reading in the Tightwad Gazette #2 book, that you can find garage sale, thrift store, etc....frames (with or without art in them) that can be useable. She took different sizes and shapes and cleaned them, then sprayed them all a gloss black. She used construction paper and prints from a magazine for matting. And, I think leftover glass from old windows was cut down to place on top of the picture and mat. When you mentioned mats and frames, I remembered the article.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I have SO many projects that I am working on:

Cross-Stitch:

A Care Bears baby quilt for Wesley that I started when I was pregnant (he turns 2 on Saturday)
1/2 of a pair of pillowcases
a stack of quilt blocks
a second baby quilt
a dresser scarf
and a ton of other things!!!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Oh My!
*Lords prayer counted cross
*Several Baby Bibs counted cross
*Pillowcases -stamped embrodery
*Christmas designs for pillows - counted cross
*lighthouse - canvas needlework
*sampler pillow- canvas needlework
*hand towels - several - counted cross

and of course 2 rugs to hook and tons of sewing projects!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOWSERS, Mamaw! You certainly have your work cut out for you. What have you decided to tackle and complete, first? (I know. Tough decision.) What is the design on the stamped pillow cases?

MrsMcDowell...How is the Care Bear quilt coming along? Do you stitch a lot of the Care Bear designs? What are the patterns on the 2nd baby quilt and the dresser scarf?

***Just call me curious, folks. :wave2:

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
WOWSERS, Mamaw! You certainly have your work cut out for you. What have you decided to tackle and complete, first? (I know. Tough decision.) What is the design on the stamped pillow cases?

MrsMcDowell...How is the Care Bear quilt coming along? Do you stitch a lot of the Care Bear designs? What are the patterns on the 2nd baby quilt and the dresser scarf?

***Just call me curious, folks. :wave2:
Suzee, keep asking me questions! YOu are keeping me on top of my work.

I am almost done with the Care Bears quilt, I have a few patches of stars left to do and the Care Bear's Belly then I am done. I don't stitch a lot of the Care Bears design, but I picked this one up when I was pregnant. Wesley loves the Care Bears so I really wanna finish it up soon.

The second baby quilt is little bunnies in pajamas sleeping on alphabet blocks. It was a gift from Zac's gma. The dresser scarf is a really pretty violet design!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I haven't done cross-stitch for a long, long time but I thought yesterday that I'd like to give it a try, so I chose this one and will raid my mother's cross-stitch supplies tonight to find the materials necessary.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LadyNada...That is a very nice pattern. Will you be doing it in the same colors? Will you frame or pillow it?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
LadyNada...That is a very nice pattern. Will you be doing it in the same colors? Will you frame or pillow it?
I did pick out the same colors, though the Aida cloth is off-white, since there was no white. I think I'll frame it. Depending on how it comes out, I may give it to my aunt and grandmother for Christmas this year. :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
oh, this is the type of post i'm looking for! :)
i keep asking for creative gift ideas... but *duh*

anyway i'm making a trinket box (crochet), some scarves, an afghan, a few bags (diff sizes/ knit & crochet) (like market bags & such), some little "envelopes" (small pockets for a purse)... and a few other ideas, but nothing done yet. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts