Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to use cruise control ,all of the time, while I am driving on the highway, how about you? I was just curious. I think it does save me money on gas.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I never use mine....I forget that it's there...lol

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I never use mine either but I dont use it because I feel like I am not in control, I just feel weird but my DH uses it quite often when he has to drive far. :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I don't use mine either, makes me feel like I do not have control of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm like Tracy, I just don't feel as I have as much control with the cruise on. Hubby uses it all the time.

Dixie Jean

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I am with everyone else, I do not use mine for control reasons. I have to have my foot on a pedal, it makes me feel more secure.

·
27,948 Posts
I like it, and it doesn't make me feel out control, touch of the break or gas & it's off. On longer trips it's so nice to relax your feet a bit.:)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I won't ever use it. I had a very bad and scary experience with it. My older sister and I were on our way from Ca to NDak because our mother had passed. She drove from Ca to Las Vegas. I drove from there to Roberts, Idaho. There it was her her turn. I had been driving thru blowing snow and ice. So she starts driving she puts it on. So at mile marker 172 she hit the brakes to take it off. She lost control hit black ice. She put us down a 30 ft embankment. We should have rolled, instead the rear tire popped of the rim and dug into the ground. There we were stuck. A school bus passing by saw it happen and called for help.
Fern

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Scary drop into the ditch. I would never use it in those kinds of driving conditions though. I do like it. About two-thirds of my commute to work is on the interstate, but through town. I can't use it driving in because there is way too much traffic for it to be safe, but I've started using it coming home late at night when the traffic is very light. Everything I've read says that it does save on gas. But I am very careful to turn the cruise control sustem completely off when I get off the interstate. I've also read horror stories of the system being on and it getting activated unexpectedly. With the controls on the steering wheel, I see how that could happen.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Fernykins, I am sorry that happened to you. I just read something about not using cruise control in rain, snow, or ice because when you hit a bad patch on the road the cruise control causes the car to acclerate (right when you don't want it to) then when you try to brake the car has already become out of control and lots of accidents happen that way. I only use my cruise control when I am driving long distances and not in bad weather anymore.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Cruise control is perfectly safe to use in clear, dry conditions because it is shut off with a tap of the brakes. But it's definitely dangerous in any wet or icy conditions. If I'm on a lonely stretch of highway I will use it, but not in traffic, and not on a quick 2-mile jump down the freeway like here.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I dont's have cruise control on the vehicle that I use everyday but when I take long trips in the van I do use it. I think the only way it saves me money is because with it on, I never go over the speed limit.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Dh is always pestering me to use mine but I never do. Mostly I don't drive very far at all so don't see the point but I hate having to commit to one speed :)

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I agree about not using it in traffic. When I said I use it going home at night when the traffic is light, I meant really light. Three or four lanes, clumps of maybe four or five cars -- you know how they bunch up -- with big empty gaps between them. And my interstate drive is long enough to make it worthwhile. But I don't do it all the time.

·
Licence to Kill
3,479 Posts
I've used it when we were in the lower 48, but there just aren't highways like that here in Anchorage... If we were driving outside of town I'd use it, but not on ice, snow, or low visibility...driving up here can get hairy real quick... :snowing:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I use mine everyday on the way to and from work. I have a 25 mile commute on a state highway and so I turn it on as soon as I leave the house and use it until I get into town.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I use mine all the time, as for loosing control by hitting the brakes to turn it off, I just it the cruise button and shut if off. I've never felt that I have less control over the car by having it on.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I do not have cruise in my truck (1996 stick shift). But when I go out of town and rent a vehicle I do use it. My sis, who was a professional truck (as in semi) driver taught me to never use the cruise during rain, sleet, ice, snow etc. Even semi trucks have cruise (I did not know that before) and that's what they are taught.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use cruise control only on long road trips when traffic on the freeway/interstate isn't heavy; never use it while driving around town; when its raining or the road is icy, I don't use it on the interstate and local roads.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I used to use it during my work commute when I lived in St Louis. Allowed me to avoid a few speeding tickets. :toothy:

Traffic is so bad in San Diego, that I rarely use it anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts