Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here done Curves before? I joined last week and today was my 4th time going I like it so far. There are two machines I can't do because of my hip but the rest so far have not caused me any problems.

I would like to know what your experiences have been with going to curves. How are/were your results?
TIA

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Our local curves closed a few months ago.

most people I know found it great at the first but then found it hard to get there later.

One friend who lost lots post baby weight at Curves found after a while found it boring and not much of a challenge. She moved on to dvds

Me? I had a gift certificate for a free month and just never could find the time to get there because I had little ones at the time and they do not have a nursery for the little ones to stay in.

Good Luck I hope you like it and it works for you.

Reactions: jas

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I liked curves at first but honestly it's kind of boring plus I always felt a little silly doing it. It's also probably the most repetitive workout program you can find. I don't remember what I paid for the monthly fee but I would think that you could buy a new dvd a month for what I was paying for the membership.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Several years back, I did Curves for one year. I also was following Atkins for that same year. All in all, I lost about 20 lbs. I didn't like it. I didn't care for the instructors and I found the games annoying. I just wanted to work out in my own space and not bond with anyone.
I also didn't like being weighed and measured.
So I quit, and the weight came back and brought friends.
A few months ago I decided to go it on my own by learning to eat healthier and in the last week I've added working out with an elliptical in my home. I'm down over 60 pounds now, with a long way left to go.
I'm really not much of a people person, if you are- then going to Curves might better suit you.
And I always seemed to be next to the outgoing woman with a perfect body and designer workout wear.
I wish you the best of luck in getting healthier, I know it can be tough at times. :)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
i used to do it. used to being the opportune word here. didnt really do much for the toning. and the hours are a bit strange...

·
Registered
713 Posts
I had a membership for about 3 months. I also got bored really quickly. The only thing I guess I really enjoyed about it was that it was women only, so I did not feel so self conscious going to the gym.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It's a good place to start! You have to start somewhere. After about 6 mos or a year you will probably want to step up to a gym membership. This is what everyone I know that used Curves has told me.

I chose to start with my treadmill, buy several DVDs, and go from there.

No matter what you choose, it has to work for you. Just do it!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on Curves! I am doing it month to month for right now even though it costs me 10.00 more a month. I decided until I know if I even like and will go I am not signing on for a year contract.

I do like that it is all women and the ones I have seen soooooo far are all older, maybe it is the time of day.

Yes, I have to start somewhere and I guess this is going to be it for a few months. I could see that it could get boring after awhile. So far that is okay since I am new to it and I can do it and get out. Working out is not yet my favorite thing to do so the 30 min it takes right now is a great start.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
good luck!

i have been doing yoga now for about a year...and in better shape than i have been in yrs and yrs...now that being said, yoga is ALOT more expensive than a curves membership

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
good luck!

i have been doing yoga now for about a year...and in better shape than i have been in yrs and yrs...now that being said, yoga is ALOT more expensive than a curves membership

I do yoga at home for free.

After you learn the poses and "routines" it is really cheap to do it at home unless you want the social aspect of a class.

Little Miss took free yoga classes at school at the after school program.

The library has yoga dvd's

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once I have been going awhile I do hope to get more out of the social aspect of being around more people. I am limited in the amount of people I come in contact with so I would like to meet some new friends or get involved in more community activities. They have a board with events going on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts