Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This lady brought over some fabric for me to make 6 curtain panels for her kitchen. There was not enough fabric to use to make all that she wanted. So I measured what I had and told her that I could only make 4 panels instead of 6. With that, the 4 would actually be to short in width to match the width of the old panel she brought to me as an example. I told her they would have to be skinnier but that there would still be enough coverage for her windows. She said "great".

I measured the fabric today and cut off the excess. But I cut it the wrong way. So now, I only have enough to make 2 panels instead of 4. I am SICK to my stomach!!! I have fretted over this all day and have not told her that I cut the fabric wrong.

About an hour ago I figured out that tomorrow I am going to Hancocks Fabric Store and buy some solid maroon fabric and make solid side panels with her paisley material in the center. The paisley pattern has maroon outlines on it. I heard her make comment the other day that she was thinking about some maroon valances to go with the panels.

I feel at least a little better about the situation. I am not going to tell her that I messed up and cut the fabric incorrectly. I am going to tell her that I decided that the panels needed to be embellished with some contrasting fabric. I hope it goes over well, because that is the way it is going to have to be.

This is precisely why I do not MAKE items for people, I just repair and hem things for them.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Oh Cheryl :hugz: I'm sorry. Your idea sounds wonderful though, and she just may like them better than the original plan.

Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Is it possible to piece the fabric back together with some lace or ribbon insert? You could turn that mistake into a "design feature".

Reactions: Incognito

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible to piece the fabric back together with some lace or ribbon insert? You could turn that mistake into a "design feature".
No I don't think so. As a matter of fact the fabric is not for curtains, it is upholstery type fabric. It is very heavy and thick and it ravels very easy.

I will definately be using the serger when joining the 2 different fabrics. It's design feature will be the added panels on each side. I will be purchasing a heavy weight type of fabric to balance out the weight of her fabric.

Ugh,......never again.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
On Cheryl that's too bad! It is something that is so easy to do. I think your idea will turn out great so don't fret. Hugs

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sorry that happened...........

What the heck..........if she likes them, I might even tell her
I screwed up..........

Sorry about all your worry.......know what you mean about making things for other people. I only do GIFTS.......then it is MY PLAN.......my fabric!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I recently did something similar but it all worked out in the end and the customer liked it more than what I was supposed to do. Hopefully the customer will enjoy what you have planned even more.

Hugs
Stacy

·
19,119 Posts
Been there, done that - Lord it's the pits to go through.

Have to tell you my miss - Over thirty years ago I was covering the chair cushions for the new Kapalua Golf Villa condominiums working with $100 yard silk fabric. There were two styles of cushions - round and square. I remember driving up to Kapalua in my burgundy MG to install the last set - so hapy to be finished with the project - and I have made the wrong shape cushions - ugh - heart sinking - yup - know how you feel.

You have come up with a great idea which will make striking curtains/drapes for her. Mahalo for posting - we need to share these trials so they don't fester inside of us.

·
2,688 Posts
Hugs......
I wouldn't tell the customer your error.
Sounds like your plan will work just fine.

This summer I had a customer ask for a special knitted hat. I had never used that kind of yarn before. Nor did I want to.
I got his old worn out one, to use as a pattern. Ended up mending it and giving it back to him. And then made him a new hat. Actually I made him 3 hats because I was not sure of his big head size. I neglected to take measurements of the original when I had my hands on it. Sigh.
I made one like his original and then the second two, the way I wanted to do them. I showed him each one in order that I made and he tried on each one. Asked me how much per hat, and then he paid me for all 3. He was thrilled. I was in shock. And then he asked for my info so he can order more in a year or two.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to Hancocks this morning and immediately was directed to this reddish fabric with thin greenish gold stripes. I think the two combinations of fabrics will look pretty elegant when I am done (I hope!)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That's a really good match. Will you post a photo of the finished curtains?

My parents had a frame shop, and occasionally items brought in were damaged. Most people were decent about it, but there were a few, uh, corkers. Mistakes happen. I think your fix will look great.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Cheryl, That's a beautiful match. I'm sure they will be just lovely. I can't imagine that she'd balk at such a elegant pairing. Still :hugz: I know this is stressing you. :(

·
19,119 Posts
Agree with Polly - stunning combination of colors and pattern - what a lucky customer!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yup! I think she'll be thrilled! The added fabric will definetely give the panels a very customized look. Glad you found such a great solution! :)

Remember that all's well that ends well! PHEW! :congrats:

Theresa :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As we say down here, "If the Good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise" I will have them done tomorrow afternoon.

I will be sure to post a picture of the finished curtains.

Thanks everybody. Have a good evening.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would let her know ahead of time that you made a mistake that you think she will end up liking even better than the original idea. I am sure they will turn out lovely! :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good or bad, this is how the curtains turned out. I hope that they are good enough for her. If not.....oh well, I tried.
I think they turned out pretty good, if I say so myself.

Boy, I will think twice before I do that again.

Sorry, but the picture quality is not very good. Bad lighting.

Reactions: mamamia

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I think they are just lovely! I'm sure she'll be pleased.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
They turned out great! I am sure she will be pleased.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts