Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Walmart yesterday evening and youngest ds wanted to go with me. I don't normally go shopping with kids because of the pestering factor but decided to let him go. Anyway, he ended up being my coupon holder for the coupons I decided to use. I explained about product sizes, coupons, and getting the biggest size for the same amount of money as a smaller one and using a coupon with it, etc. He seemed to catch on quickly so we were zipping along carefully using coupons and I put something into the cart and he said rather sternly, "Do you have a coupon for that?" I said, "No, but I'm getting it anyway!" Little coupon Nazi! A little later he saw something that he wanted and I said that he could get it, but I didn't have a coupon for it so he said that he changed his mind...he didn't want it without a coupon! Maybe he should shop with me a little more often! LOL!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
One of the very smartest things we ever did was to give the kids an allowance, starting around age 5.

If they wanted something at the store, we'd say, "Okay. We'll use YOUR money."

We NEVER got pestered to buy things after that!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
What a great lesson!!! Way to go Val! :)

Reactions: valerian

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
That's cute that even though he wanted it he didn't get it because it didn't have a coupon! Way to go, Valerian! Bring him more often! He'll definately keep you in check. Now you should teach him about 'wants' and 'needs'. Maybe he'll never let you have anything you want!:lol:

Reactions: valerian

·
8,714 Posts
~How old is he? I used to love being a shopping helper for my mom. It was like a treasure hunt helping her find the best deals. :D~

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
One of the very smartest things we ever did was to give the kids an allowance, starting around age 5.

If they wanted something at the store, we'd say, "Okay. We'll use YOUR money."

We NEVER got pestered to buy things after that!
Hahah. I found out a few weeks ago that my 10 yo has over 100 saved up and stashed in her bedroom. Occasionally she'll ask for something at the store so I said, "You know kid, you could just take YOUR money to the store and buy yourself something. You can get a lot of pokemon cards for $100."

And she says, "Yeah, but I realized that if I buy a lot of little things with my money I won't have enough for the big stuff I want."

Little hoarder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts