Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get the bills down. I had my Dish Network, internet and phone bundled. I asked the bundling company if I could get the cheapest cable bill and they told me I had to unbundle and then talk to Dish Network. The tech then said, "Don't tell them I told you, but when you go to change it it'll be on an automatic system. Hit 'zero-zero' and talk to a person. They can get you just local channels and a few other ones for $14.99"

I called Dish and the automatic system tried to tell me that the cheapest plan I could go down to was $56 a month. That woud get me 120 channels. I was paying $63 for 200 channels. Big whoop on the savings-NOT.

So I hit zero twice and talked to a real person who said they could get me down to a plan that has local channels and a few other ones. By the time I add in taxes and franchise fees, etc. it's $25 a month!!

What's funny is that we were talking about the programs we'd miss. Dh said he'd miss The Daily Show. Son #2 said he'd miss Monster Jam. I'd miss my HGTV. With this new plan the ONLY show we're going to miss is Dr. Who! And that comes out on DVD pretty quickly!!

I'm saving BIG TIME!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Awesome job! I wonder if my cable company works the same way? I'll have to try it, because the basic cable package is $60 per month.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I'm so tempted to cut down on Dish. For me even thinking about it, is huge! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
What exact channels will you still be getting? That's sounds really tempting!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Ive tried cutting back with them and get no where, If we could get the game channel, we would be set. My cheapest bill is now $67

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I only pay $17 a month for basic cable. If I want to watch anything else I use my computer to watch a show. Had fully loaded cable also dishtv but in the long run realized I could only watch one show at a time. Thought I would miss the few channels I would watch but did not miss them. There are so many channels that are available to watch on the computer it just saves me money.

If I could just use the converter boxes I would. I just do not get good reception here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go ahead a get rid of it. My husband and I only have Netflix (lowest plan). We can usually get 2 DVD's a week since the center is about 35 miles away & can stream movies or TV shows. And haven't missed television one bit. If you want local news or weather get on the computer. Oh & by the way we sleep much better at night now also. And those extra dollars go toward increased food & fuel. Best of luck, and if you change your mind the sattelite co's. are always beggin us to come back....then they may work a deal out with ya.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Way to go!!! We are bundled with them through Centurytel. Centurytels preferred carried in now Direct TV. I tried calling Dish to ask what they would do to keep us as customers as we were thinking of un-bundling . Besides speaking horrible Engish she told me "I didnt exist and I had to call centurytel." Maybe because of being bundled???

Dh said he will not have a fit after May 15th if I temporarily shut it off. I figure they should call to keep us. If not we will set up as new customers in Dh's name for the new deal. Now I cant wait to use the info you have given!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts