Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorite tips is how to cut drying time in half when drying laundry in the dryer...and it absolutely works. Put a clean dry lint free bath towel into each load of drying laundry. Its amazing to me the difference in drying time for the clothes. It literally cuts the drying time in half.

*I do hang laundry out in the summer time to save money but when its not an option this trick sure works.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I am going to try this , thank you!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm so trying this!! Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I line dry towels and then throw one or two in with a wet load and it definately cuts the dryer time. It saves also because I am not drying a load of heavy wet towels and it helps to dry the other load quicker.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for sharing this tip...will try this tonight.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Our apartment building has a very old dryer and I usually have to go down and swap things out (pull lighter items and throw half-dry towels and jeans in with the next load of wet clothes from the washer).

I notice that the second load usually dries a lot quicker with the addition of the towels.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thank you! I am moving in a week and for the first time in 5 years(and my frugal journey) I will have my own washer and dryer....I'm looking for any tips or tricks to reduce drying time/energy consumption from these new appliances!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
also, if you do one lead after another, w/ the same hot towel in there, it helps to lessen the time.

also, wash all loads w/out softener...use vinegar...at least once a month...this gets all the softener and other stuff out and helps clothing and bedding dry quicker...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
also, if you do one lead after another, w/ the same hot towel in there, it helps to lessen the time.

also, wash all loads w/out softener...use vinegar...at least once a month...this gets all the softener and other stuff out and helps clothing and bedding dry quicker...
That is what I do to along with making my own laundry detergent. I know I'm saving quite a bit with doing all that. My clothes just feel so much better with the homemade and I do think they are lasting longer.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've not tried this yet, but will. I've noticed that on the permanent press cycle, the spin cycle does not extract all the water it could, so I put in on the regular cycle's spin cycle - even just a few minutes extracts more water, which I see shooting into the laundry tub. I don't run the entire spin cycle, just enough to get a bit more water out. Most important with loads of blankets, jeans, towels, etc, things that hold a lot of water.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I will have to try it, my dryer seems to take a long time to dry. I don't hang stuff because of the wild cats in the neighborhood and I just don't like the smell out there in general. It doesn't smell clean when I hang my clothes up!

·
4,028 Posts
I tried this Monday at my clients and it did cut down on the time by around 10-15 mins. It was a load of king sized bed linens, 7 pillow cases, 3 hand towels and a bath towel... so a pretty big load that takes about an hr to usually finish.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.