Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring, I was gifted with some Dahlia bulbs. I want to dig them up soon so I can winter the bulbs. I just did a google search and came up with some information.
Dahlia.com - Dahlia Growing Tips, Dahlia Buying Resources, Dahlia Pictures
I am thinking after I get them out of the ground, I could put them in cardboard egg cartons. This would keep them from touching each other. The room I want to keep them in is about 60 degrees in the winter. We have no basement here. I have wintered glad bulbs in the same room, and done okay with them. I have also left some of the glad bulbs in the ground and they did okay that way.

For being the first time with dahlias, mine did really good. Over 5 ft tall and LOTS of flowers. Covered them when a frost hit and they are still going strong.

So does anyone else raise this flower and any tips / hints ?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I live in Zone 5, but call it 4 just to be on the safe side. Pass a house on way to work - dahlias line his drive. He just leaves them in the ground, no digging up. He does put a thick layer of straw over the edge of the driveway (about 8 inches).
MIL, next door, had a surprise dahlia plant come up, started blooming late in the season (3 weeks ago) looks great now, still flowering, and we've had 4ish frosts.
Wondering if you may want to leave them and see what will happen?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
This spring, I was gifted with some Dahlia bulbs. I want to dig them up soon so I can winter the bulbs. I just did a google search and came up with some information.
Dahlia.com - Dahlia Growing Tips, Dahlia Buying Resources, Dahlia Pictures
I am thinking after I get them out of the ground, I could put them in cardboard egg cartons. This would keep them from touching each other. The room I want to keep them in is about 60 degrees in the winter. We have no basement here. I have wintered glad bulbs in the same room, and done okay with them. I have also left some of the glad bulbs in the ground and they did okay that way.

For being the first time with dahlias, mine did really good. Over 5 ft tall and LOTS of flowers. Covered them when a frost hit and they are still going strong.

So does anyone else raise this flower and any tips / hints ?
Dahlia bulbs are large and take a lot of effort to dig. I have left them in the ground, but heavily mulch and they thrive in Zone 5. The bulbs do heave in some cases due to freezing unless heavily mulched. I use wood chips, since they are readily available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.