Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided I need to make a point of either fixing, sorting, or cleaning one item I don't normally work with every single day.

Anyone care to join in?

Today I'm going to fix a wind chime that was given to us for our thirty-fifth wedding anniversary. One of our resident squirrels chewed off the cord that held the clapper while the chime was hanging on our deck. It's been laying around for at least a year, for want of fifteen minutes or less of repair work. How stupid is that?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'll join! Today I'm going to clean one closet, sort 2 storage containers and then put them into the closet.

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal! Misery loves company, after all.

I didn't time myself fixing the wind chime, but I did it during a commercial break while watching TV. And yet it had to lay around at least a year waiting to be fixed.

Then I sorted through a stack of magazines and papers, and then I cleared off a little folding table and put that away. My living room is looking better already.

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I washed my doggy's favorite toy. The little mechanism that makes it bark needed to have some stuff cleaned out of it so it would bark again, so I took care of that. Then I added some stuffing and stitched it up, and also repaired some other rips and tears. The poor thing has been severely abused, but it's still our girl's favorite.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thursday: I cleaned the closet and put 2 bins of fabric in it. I really need to get rid of some of the stuff in the bins but I will save that for later. (I have a hard time getting rid of fabric, even scraps. I always think I will make something wonderful for a doll or dollhouse someday).

Yesterday: I researched how to destroy a hard drive so it data cannot be retrieved... then got out my drill and went to work. One hard drive destroyed and disposed of!

Today I plan to mend something... don't know what yet.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I just finished a great culling, sorting so not much is left - at least I don't think there is. But yesterday I sorted all my remnant yarn balls by brand so they will be easier to use. It doesn't sound like much, but it's helpful. I should have done it a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I'm in. Today I'm going to go through a mountain of mail and magazines and see what I can get rid of.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'll join you, starting yesterday ;-)
I've mended a tear in our duvet cover.

Tonight: put outgrown baby clothes in boxes in the attic (it's on one big heap in the attic now) - label the boxes and start finding places to sell them.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Did a major clean and sort of the main bathroom this morning. Lots of empty containers somehow get stashed in the cabinets rather than making their way to the trash?!? It's all sparkling clean top to bottom and smells far better :)

Next up? Dunno what else, but something. Today's the day.

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had sort of a chaotic day today. Nothing bad, just busy and not conducive to getting much done at home. Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
844 Posts
We did an emergency repair of the bath/shower, because every time we took a shower, water was running through a tiny gap between the tiles and the bathtub into our garage, which is underneath the bathroom.

Then I cleared out my dd3's craft basket. All odd scraps of paper/glue balls/dust/etc into the bin. That feels great, and I'm happy that it will be easier for her to do 'crafting'.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Sounds like something I need to do, Sibrie :) But, alas, I decided to get all the livingroom throw blankets into the washer/dryer and our livingroom smells nicer now!

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today I finally sorted out all the bias tape, seam binding, blanket binding, rick rack, and similar sewing notions. I've been meaning to get that done for several years now. About time!

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today we sorted out a bunch of tools from a corner of our garage. We trashed a bunch of stuff, swept, organized, and re-arranged. Then we emptied 38 jugs of cat litter into pails that held about three jugs each, so we could get rid of the jugs that were taking too much space and wouldn't stack worth a darn.

We also moved a bookshelf from my office into the house, set up a cabinet that used to be in the kitchen but will work nicely in the entry of my office, cleaned the entry, and hung new drapes so I could finally get rid of the icky disgusting faded ones that have been in there for fifteen years or more. I never cared a lot because it's a pass-through room that no one really sees but us, but it's still nice to have it looking better.

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The shelf arrangement in my fridge has been bugging me for quite a while now, so today I pulled the shelves out, cleaned them, and rearranged them. Much better now!

1 - 20 of 158 Posts