Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
7 May 2012 Daily Food 7 May 2012 Daily Food
Attempting to avoid the commercial prepared food industry as much as possible, over time I have chosen and prepared basic foods, which are palatable, nutritional, easy to prepare,simple,and readily available.The choices are not embedded in stone. I am constantly searching for additions. The method of preparing is in my Journal. durgan.org | Garden Journal Started 2011. Garden Journal, Brantford Ontatrio Zone 5. Property 0.4 Acre with large vegetable garden and and fruit trees. Produce is pressure canned, dehydrated, and cold room stored. Objective is to avoid commercial pro Breakfast is soy beans and cooked oats which is not included in this post. The Canadian Food Guide recommendations have probably been met.

Some might ask what about delicious as an attribute instead of palatable. My answer is “delicious” every day makes us jaded, discriminatory, and fat. Once a week, partaking of traditional food is a real treat and is devoured with much pleasure.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This reminds me of "Crocodile Dundee" when he says to the woman who he has prepared snake for, "yah,it will keep you alive,but it tastes like shit".LOL
Sorry Durgan,that just popped into my head.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This reminds me of "Crocodile Dundee" when he says to the woman who he has prepared snake for, "yah,it will keep you alive,but it tastes like shit".LOL
Sorry Durgan,that just popped into my head.
I remember the scene very well. Crocodile Dundee was an amusing movie.

Actually nothing presented has an unpleasant taste. The cooked nuts (almonds) are particularly pleasant. The little bit of molasses in the soy beans makes them neutral and nothing unpleasant. I don't use any added sugar or sweetener other than the molasses in the soy beans, so most food is relatively sweet to taste. The Pilot bread is most filling and varies in flavour depending upon the nuts or seeds used. The various juices are all enjoyable and probably supply much nourishment.

Now for the finale. Going out for a typical NA traditional meal becomes a real treat, and is much enjoyed. One practically licks the plate.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think your garden are beautiful and you seem to reap a bounty of healthy foods. We are trying to eliminate processed foods and have found that over time the processed foods begin to taste grossly sweet or over salted.I have also noticed a fatty after taste in many of the foods.We don't enjoy eating out the way we may have at one time.The end result is always like a colonic.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think people have the right to do as they please to their own bodies, and that includes eating, drinking, drugging and smoking themselves to death. As long as they are willing to pay for their own addictions and the cost it takes for their healthcare until they depart.I do not feel they have the right to engage their minor children in those addictions. Nothing is sadder than watching an obese parent leading an obese toddler thru the all you can eat buffet.It is sad to listen to a child wheeze while breathing in the second hand smoke of the parent.It is sad to hear a child crying at the dental office while they try to work on teeth that are rotted out from colas and candies, while the parents flip a state card to foot the cost.It is child abuse, but as long as parents view their children as possessions instead of people it will continue.An occasional treat is one thing, but the obesity we are seeing is not coming from those once in a while treats.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will even enlarge. The junk food establishments are getting a lot of static due to the obesity epidemic. I suspect it goes further than that. It is the food served at home, that is the biggest contributor to the obesity or poor life style epidemic.

It is not a personal issue. The huge cost (medical and work) is born by all, so it is simply not a case of minding one's own business. Obesity is and should be concern to all to some degree. The debilitating diseases of the older people, probably after the age of 40 is rising yearly, and there is no doubt that many are diet related.

Never in the history of man have we as a society been blessed with so much food and choice, and we have chosen or so it seems to select the most damaging.

From my experience there is not a fat person who doesn't want to trim, and one need not do BMI or such to know that they are overweight. Every overweight person knows their condition.

Finally the medical profession have gone on a pill system, and the populace believe consciously or unselfconsciously that a pill is the solution to all their medical conditions.

Many people in past generations have lived to ripe old ages and never consulted doctors. Now everybody believes they need a family doctor. The world has gone nuts.

I just completed a book about a white woman living in NY State about 1760 and was kidnapped at 5he age of 12 by Indians. She lived amongst them for 70 years. He husband lived to be 105 on the typical Indian diet, which was basically what was available. Food for thought if nothing else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.