Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH's parents have both turn 75 this October. They live in the Dallas area.

We will take vacation to visit for a birthday celebration, but we were planning to go right onto our family vacation afterward.

But then, we got talking about what we'd like to do on vacation:

* I want to go to a nice museum.
* Fish-Kid wants to go to an aquarium.
* Scribbler-kid wants to go to a zoo.
* DH likes amusement parks.

Dallas has all of that.

So, we're considering a Dallas vacation. But I HATE the thought of staying w/ the in-laws for our vacation. MIL is ... fussy. I thought that maybe we could alleviate any tension by taking them out for dinner every night.

BTW, the il's have 2 people in a 5-bedroom house. There's a LOT of pressure to stay there.

Am I being stupid to even consider it?

And what's great to do in Dallas?

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I would consider staying with the IL's to save money for a room, but on the otherhand, your sanity is more important. If you think you can tolerate the IL's for the duration of your stay, I would stay with them. BUT that would be easy for me to say, since I live right next door to mine.

As for things to do in Dallas or the surrounding area, you can go to Six Flags, Hurricane Harbour, The Ballpark at Arlington (if you like baseball), Ripley's Believe It or Not, The Galleria (a multi-story mall with an ice skating rink in the middle of it), Music Hall in Fair Park offers summer musicals June - Oct, Tues - Sat., Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens(www.dallasarboretum.com), Dallas World Aquarium and Zoological Garden (www.dwazoo.com), Dallas Zoo (www.dallas-zoo.org), Farners Market, Frontiers of Flight Museum (www.flightmuseum.com), John F. Kennedy Museum and the famous Sixth Floor Museum (www.jfk.com), Speed Zone (www.speedzone.com), and Zero Gravity Thrill Amusement Park (www.gojump.com). Also if you can afford to eat at Medieval Times, go! You can check it out here: www.medievaltimes.com .

Enjoy your vacation!

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Michelle has given you most of the great attractions but be sure to look up what travelling exhibits might be there at the time. We saw the Ramses exhibit when our dk's were younger.

About the il's....could you spend the first 1/2 or 2/3's with the inlaws and then a couple of days on your own in a hotel "so the kids can swim" or something...? Just a thought. (ofcourse if your il's have a pool that excuse is out of the window but if there is something you want to see in Ft. Worth or something the long drive back, late in the evening could be the replacement excuse). Good luck with figuring that out.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Call it as you see it.

Why beat around the bush, you're both not accustomed to living with each other and then there are children involved. Even though you're family the IL's arent used to your kids 100% of the time.

Just tell the IL's the truth, you appreciate the offer of hospitality but prefer to stay one or two nites with them to visit and then the rest of the time at a hotel/motel so you dont disturb them when the kids go bonkers and fight :laugh: and as to your arrival/departure times throughout the day. Or offer to stay the first and last nights with them so both sides get a breather and a nice visit from each other.

When my family came to visit, we just gave them a key, told them not to worry about phone calls they needed to make long distance or receive at off hours (they're from a different time zone) and we kept the house stocked - clean towels, TP and food :laugh: We left them a notes on the fridge as a courtesy along with contact #'s and maps and coupons for whatever they had thought they 'might' want do/see.

As for the hotel excuse - thats the best part of travelling and staying hotels - the pool! Some now even have waterside/waterpark etc trying to get you to spend a 'family day' on premise so they can make more $$$ :laugh: Man I wish I was a kid again!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, DH thinks it would be ideal to stay w/ his parents for a week. So, I'm fighting that battle too.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Maybe you should have another talk with DH again and find some common ground? Explain why you think you dont think its ideal and let him reiterate his ideas on why it is. And comprimise....I know I know, easier said then done. But make a deal with him - if you stay at his parents use the money saved from not staying at a hotel for a date - just the two of you while visiting the IL's? If he insists on staying there then he should insist they help assume some responsiblity of caring for the kids even though they're yours. Id see it as fair trade - more adults there or available the less 'watching over' to be done by just the two of you.

Negotiate! Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts