Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the grocery store today and decided to look at the clearance rack. Well, this time it seemed to be more of the dent and scratch rack. Almost bought some canned produce but decided not to so I could still be in budget. But I did pick up a really mangled unopened box of cereal for cheap and a mangled box of facial tissue for only 50 cents.

The cans were dented and I could not get the idea that dented cans were not good, according to my mother growing up. I still buy them once in a while.

So it had me wondering what other people will buy on clearance no matter what the outside looks like.

Am not sure if buying clothes at clearance and thrift stores which has me always looking at a piece of clothing to make sure there is nothing wrong with it has me thinking more about quality with any other clearance purchase. I basically had to tell myself that the box of tissues still had a good side to present and there was nothing wrong with the tissues inside.

Do you ever think twice about buying something because the packaging is dented or mangled? Does this not bother you?
What are you thoughts about the "damaged" products that you can get really good prices on.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
I love looking through the clearance baskets at local stores. Pretty much, if the inner packaging is intact and it is something we eat I have no problem buying it. The box is going in the trash anyway, who cares what it looks like.

I have bought dented cans as long as the top is still ok and I can get a can opener on it, and it is something we'll use relatively soon. I think the issue with dented cans is the seals can crack and cause the contents to go bad, but you can usually tell if they have bloated, rusted, etc.

Recently I have bought: instant oatmeal (the glue popped open on the boxes, so they were half price) taco shells, canned beans, trail mix, stuffing, cookies, instant "gourmet" coffee mix, and brown sugar.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have bought many things on the clearance rack at the store before. Cereal, canned goods, spices and even kitchen accessories. I don't care what the package looks like as long as what's inside is still intact.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I buy tons of things this way. And FYI you can still use a coupon. Do it all the time.
Can goods not so much. A tiny puncture hole can taint the products as well as a rim leak.

I got all my pectin,combat mouse stuff,kerosene,BBq sauce,vitamins,energy bars. Just watch Exp. dates. Sometimes they just won't carry it anymore. But sometimes it will expire in a week at our Kroger.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I like to browse the clearance section as well but I totally look for the date and condition of the can and decide before buying. DF can be hit or miss, all depends on the day if items get to come home or not - sometimes I don't tell him what items were part of our meal that was clearance.

But definitely - if I am paying full price - I will not buy a can with a damaged label or dent in it. Odd how that works huh?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But definitely - if I am paying full price - I will not buy a can with a damaged label or dent in it. Odd how that works huh?[/QUOTE]

Libby, now that you stated that, this is how I think also.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Used to do it with diapers all the time. People would rip the plastic packaging and check out the size of the dipe then leave them. Babies R Us would then tape up the pack and deep discount them, then I'd use a coupon on top of that.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I shop the markdown racks, first. I deliberately go from the produce to the deli to the meats to the refrigerated and then frozen markedowns before I do any other shopping. I save a bunch of money this way. I don't buy many canned goods, dented or otherwise. I regularly buy produce and meats, frozen stuff and some refrigerated. (Last week I got chocolate gelato, a quart of nonfat milk, a small vanilla gelato, canned English rice pudding, etc.)

I only buy marked down gourmet cheeses and other "luxe" goods as there's no way I'll pay what they want for them otherwise!!!:eek:

Judi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts