Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever made this? As I understood the directions, I collected 300 dandelion heads, rinsed in strainer, then cut off the green little leaves that hold the pedals together. The greens will make it bitter. What a BIG job that was! Took me 2 days! I now have continued in the process and have boiled the water with sugar, added lemon juice and dandelion pedals, boiled that and have to let it stand 24 hours until the next straining out of the pedals and adding pectin. - If I had known how involved this was- especially the cutting off of the greens from the pedals- I would have thought twice about making it. How did your's go?

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
I have not done dandelions, but I have made jam for years and yes it can be a lot of work. I did a crate of tomatoes one year, took me a week to peel and seed them all. Last year I picked and cleaned two buckets of small sour cherries by hand, even with DH's help it took 3 days to pit them all. My cherry jam did not set up, it is liquid. But it tastes great and the jars all sealed so they will keep for years. We are glad to have it this year. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
no but someone I know made dandelion jelly last week. think you can do a lot of things with dandelions but only thing I do is eat them

·
Super Moderator
1,996 Posts
I once made dandelion wine and did that thing where you take all the green stuff off. Never again!! There are SO many things to make jam (or wine) from that are much easier.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I once made dandelion wine and did that thing where you take all the green stuff off. Never again!! There are SO many things to make jam (or wine) from that are much easier.
Lol..exactly why I don’t make violet jelly.. I do make dandelion wine and you don’t have to take the green leaves off..

·
Super Moderator
1,996 Posts
Lol..exactly why I don’t make violet jelly.. I do make dandelion wine and you don’t have to take the green leaves off..
NOW you tell me!! We went through a period (the living off the land phase) where we tried making wine from all kinds of different things. Also tried making tea from things like blueberry leaves. It wasn't bad. But the chicory root coffee - a big NOPE!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts